Fur Mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatum

Reaction score
Hello, and good to be back. I must have missed the post on the change. I took one of my rabbits to the vet to be checked out because of fur mites. He charged me $65.00 for an office call plus an injection of ivermectrin.

The info on the internetis confusing...put a pea size on paws, right on skin and so on. What is the correct method of administering the ivermectrin? Could it be orally? She is a little 3.3 lb Holland Lop so I don't want to give her too much either.

Ps. it would be 2 more doses at $15.00 each to finish the treatment from the vet!

Thank you in advance!

Tatum

Hi Tatum,

Ivermectin is not a drug to be messed with. My suggestion is to allow the vet to follow up the treatment. I only rarely use that particular drug as there can be some adverse reactions to it (but that is true for any drug). I prefer it to be injected. And this issues isanother reason not to trusteverything you read on the internet. Some of the stuff like this that is on the internet is nothing short of scary. I would stick with the professionals in this situation.

Randy

REALLY?! Cause We've been told on many bunny boards that it's fine to give them a small dab of it on their paw for parasites - infact, I have a tube of the paste now.

My vet told me that the recommended way to give Ivermectin now is by topical application (onto the skin)rather than by injection. I was told to apply it onto the skin running from the neck down to the tail, never heard about the paws. BUT, following Starsky's problems I have to agree with Randy. It is far to easy to overdose Ivermectin and it can cause, among other things,neurological problems with topical applications. Leave it to the vets.

Ivermectin usually shows little adverse side effects. But, I find that for fur mites Revolution is better. Then again this is in my own personal experience and others may have different ones...

But back to Ivermectin. I've always injected it, .1 mL per five pounds subcutaneously. Sheesh, she's even littler than that.

So I'd advise going back to the vet for treatment instead of treating it yourself. it will save everyone a lot of grief.

Ivory...I agree with you. I much prefer Revolution for this type of treatment. I have never had any problems with it at all. I also have to say that I have used ivermectin....oral, transdermal and injected...with no problem either. Seems the dosing of ivermectin is quite critical. In this situation...I would encourage Tatum to return to the vet for the treatments.

Randy

Hi, thanks for all the advice. I really wanted to treat this myself, but I won't after hearing from all of you. I took Sprinkles in for the second injection and asked vet if I needed an office charge if I just get the injection for another rabbit and he said I didn't so I will take Garlic in just for the injections. Thank you to all of you, better safe than sorry! Tatum

Latest posts

Back