Fur mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucah

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a first time bunny owner and I got my bunny a week and a half ago. He's a 3 month old Holland Lop and his name is Lucah. A day later after I got him, I was petting his head and I felt some type of scab on the top of his head close to his left ear. I didn’t really think about it much since I didn’t see him itch it and I thought maybe it was a healing bite wound considering he was around other bunnies. A few days later I took a closer look and saw that the scab was slowly disappearing, but that was when the itching started. There seems to be some hair loss, irritation, and dandruff (?) as well. I've been researching and found information on mites, but it could be anything. I checked the inside of his ears and didn't see any crusts or smell any foul odors. I gave him ivermectin orally yesterday and put miconazole on the area earlier today. Any idea on what it could be and advice on what I should do?

here's a pic of him sleeping:
thumbnail_IMG_1003.jpg

The attached files below are some of pictures I've taken of the affected area since I got him. In the last pic, he has miconazole on his head.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0785.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0785.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail_IMG_0852.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0852.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail_IMG_1038.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1038.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail_IMG_1090.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1090.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 2
If the flakes aren't just from dead skin from a healing wound but are from fur mites, the ivermectin should take care of the problem. Which means over the next week you should gradually see the dandruff disappear. I wouldn't put anything else on it or give your rabbit anything else. Just monitor it to see if it starts to clear up over this next week. If it does then it probably was fur mites, which means at least two more treatments with ivermectin are needed, 10-14 days between each treatment, to catch the next eggs hatching and completely clear it up.

MediRabbit (fur mites in rabbits)

Latest posts

Back