Fur Mites! (Ivermectin?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ivermectin is often not recommended for Rex rabbits as they tend to have an intolerance to it. If you still wish to try no larger than a pea size. If you are planning to use the injectable I am not sure what the amount is there.

Ivermectin is often not recommended for Rex rabbits as they tend to have an intolerance to it. If you still wish to try no larger than a pea size. If you are planning to use the injectable I am not sure what the amount is there.

I believe it is a one and done on the paste.

Hmmm, it is the paste but I've never heard anything about rexes being intolerant of it? I was planning on about 1 ml in a medicine syringe. If ivermectin can't be used then what can? A couple of the websites say 3 doses, each 2 weeks apart but I'm being paranoid and don't want to go ahead and do anything until I get some second opinions, haha.

Well, after reading the thoughts of other mini rex breeders who've given it, I've given one ml to Linden, I'll watch him closely for a while before giving it to the rest of the herd, just to be safe. Can it be used on young rabbits? (11 & 15 weeks old) I've seen it used on pregnant does with no adverse effects so I don't see why not, but better safe then sorry haha.

you could try using DE or Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. It is natural and I actually feed my rabbits it (dusted over their pellets) as a dewormer and fly deterrent. It kills bugs naturally by cuting into them. You can dust the rabbits with it. Lots of great info here and you can get it at your feed store.

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/

Thanks :) I've already dosed them all with ivermectin but I'll definitly keep that in mind for future use. Do you put it on their food daily or just every so often?

EDIT:
The 11 week olds and their mother were supposed to be going to their new homes today and tomorrow. I checked over the mother and at super close inspection she seems to have fur mites aswell (not servere, very few) and the kits are still in the cage with her but don't seem to have any (though I think its most likely they do since they share a cage). Since they've already been dosed are they clear to go to their new homes (they'll be the only rabbits there. The mother and two bucks are going to one home and the two does to another) or do I need to keep them until I'm sure their completely clear?

I give it to them daily as well as my dog and I dust him with it instead of using stuff like frontline.

Back to rabbits, I mix my food up in a bucket like a lowes or home depot 5 gallon bucket and put 1 cup of DE and mix it really well with my hands. (If you have sensitive skin, wear gloves). I also use it on my yard and garden to keep bugs out of there and the flies away. Flies have been really bad this year in So CA. I dust my lawn and garden 1 to 2 times a week.

Some Dutch rabbits are known to have the P-glycoproteinmutation. I have not heard of a case in Rex rabbits. (Not saying that it isn't possible though).

For the injected, Iuse 1/10 of a cc per lb. of body weight. 3 doses, two weeks apart is fine. I know that some angora breeders give Ivermectin weekly during show season. With the paste, I use a small smear. 1 ml of the paste would be too much - remember that one tube is enough to treat a 1200 pound horse.

A drawback with the Ivermectin is that there is no antidote in the event of a toxic reaction. Kitten flea powder may be effective in mild cases, and can be washed off in the event of a toxic reaction.

Even the packaging will tell you not to give Ivermectin to collies and other dogs with the gene that gives them the white collar, white blaze, white feet markings, the same as Dutch rabbits.

Bad reactions are common, we've had several on this board, all dutch-marked bunnies.

Ivermectin is a little hard to dose in rabbits as well, and you don't want to overdose so be careful.

And NEVER give Frontline to rabbits.

sas

Gosh this is so confusing, I was told one ml >.<
When I gave them the paste most of it was stuck inside the syringe so barely any at all came out (which I'm glad for now) and they all seem fine today to hopefully no adverse affects (I read that it doesn't stay in their system long) From now on I'll just use DE, they have it at Tractor Supply and it seems a whole heck of alot safer o_O
None of the buns that are leaving look to have it (Linden is quite isolated, hes in the shed and the does/babies are in my big hutch outside) and they've already had one dose so I think they'll be alright to go but I'm going to tell them that I had one with mites and they've been treated but to keep an eye on them (my dad works with them so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to contact me) and recommend DE as a preventative.

Latest posts

Back