Fur mats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lissa

Reaction score
Pristine has terrible mats in her fur.It has gotten so bad that it appears that she's balding abit. The mats are so tight that I can't comb them out and I'mafraid to cut them because they are so close to her skin.What do you recommend?

I thought about shaving her. Wow wouldthat be a mess though! This girl has so much fur!LOL

Haha. That would be pretty funny! I'll ask Jason to shave her. :cool:

I use small, sharp-tipped scissors to carefullyget under the mat and cut it in half. It's easier to cut/pickout once it is cut through. Large areas of matting can alsobe removed in this way. Be very careful not to cut the skin.

Tightly matted fur can cause injury to the skin and can also be veryuncomfortable. Once the mats are out, I would keep her woolcut short.

Pam

I think she is pretty uncomfortable because whenI came down to pet her yesterday she kind of freaked out alittle. I think she's hurting so I better get this taken careof right away.

I have to cut Toby's wool about every sixweeks. Shaving him scares me more than scissors.The skin is soooo thin and can be nicked easily.

Once all the wool is off, you'll be shocked at how small she looks.

Toby looks like a little lamb. I'll have to post a pic. I took some last night.

Hi Lissa,

Those mats can really irritate the poor buns.
S'more got a bad one the other day that was so bad she couldn't sitproperly. Poor bunnie had to sit with her tushie up in the air. And Ihad just checked her a couple of days prior.

I use a pair of blunt-nosed scissors. The blades are VERY sharp so Istill have to be careful. Even being super-careful I still managed tonip her. Her fur isn't that long and the poopy-mat was bad. She hatesit when I have to cut them out, but once she realizes what I'm tring todo she sits very still and lets me. She huff & sqweeks a lotand get lots of love and some treats afterwards.

I tried using a cordless razor/trimmer, but the noise upset her too much.

Thanks Jim! I hope the poor girl canwait until the weekend when Jason gets home because I don't dare tryand do it myself. She's just too jumpy. Not tomention it would be very difficult with this bowling ball strapped tomy belly! :cool: I hope she's not in too muchpain. :(

We're going to attempt to shave Pristinetomorrow! Wish me luck! She's going to lookridiculous! :D

She sat very good for the wholehaircut. I think she really wanted those mats out.She looks kind of cute too!

IMG_0363.jpg

Latest posts

Back