Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bekah

Reaction score
Incase anyone thinks of mites - I've already thought about mites being a possibility but he seems to have none of the symptoms I've researched and otherwise seems like a normal healthy bunny. Anyway basically he's moulting very strangely this summer. All previous years he's moulted his fur has come out in smooth clumps. However this year it is matted when I coax bits out. Sometimes big clumps but often small. I can't see any visible dandruff/skin apart from the odd flake but maybe if there is some skin it's mixed in and I can't see it? Anyway if anyone knows what this could be please let me know thanks. Also if this posted on the wrong place - sorry! I'm new and I thought this looked like the best place.

and if you want pictures I'll have to provide them tomorrow morning

It's good that you're observant in noticing something different about your rabbit. I'm unsure how many molts you've had with him ("previous years" makes me think a while), but I know for the two years I've had my rabbit, his molting hasn't really been consistent about location, and it can be either small strands or larger clumps. I've found fur releases at different times in different sized chunks.

Is it possible you're checking a bit more diligently than you usually have in past years? So essentially rather than getting big chunks every time by leaving a few days in between grooming, maybe you're doing it every day so you're just getting smaller areas of fur that decide to release day to day? Unsure if that makes sense.

It's not consistent so his fur comes out all over his body. I suppose I have been grooming him more but it still seems odd. It's definitely coming out differently and I wish I knew why. He's molting quite heavily as it's very warm at the moment so each time I'm getting quite a lot of fur each time like a small sandwich bag full.

Latest posts

Back