Fur Loss Around Mouth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IamGroot87

Reaction score
Hi!

My 2 year old Holland Lop has been experiencing fur loss around her mouth for about 5 months now.
I took her to the vet and the vet couldn't find a reason. Her teeth are fine and she is a happy & healthy bun. It's not red, scabby or inflamed but does appear to be flaky . I attached a photo for reference. It looks a lot worse in the photo because of the contrast between her black fur.
The vet thought it could have been from friction because I was allowing her to dig and chew at a pillow (she wasn't eating it). She also had a mild obsession with the stem and ball of her water bottle so we thought she was maybe rubbing her mouth on it too much.
I gave her a water bowl and took the bottle and pillow away but the fur loss is still the same and it's been driving me nuts!
She otherwise appears very happy and healthy.
I read that a certain cream can be applied to help soothe and heal the area, but I am not sure how that would work being around her mouth seeing as she can ingest the cream.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Zelda.jpg

Any new stuff you introduced for her in the past months? Food, toys, carpet etc...
Does she have any bunny company?

She looks lovely :)

Any new stuff you introduced for her in the past months? Food, toys, carpet etc...
Does she have any bunny company?

She looks lovely :)

Hi!
Thank you. Unfortunately, nothing new that I can think of. Same food, hay. I did add carpeting in her enclosure per the vets suggestion because her hocks are starting to callus, and she prefers to sit and lay on the carpet now, but she had the fur loss long before the carpeting was installed.
No bunny company but i give her lots of attention. She can free roam the whole living room and loves her 25 sq. ft. enclosure with loft.
It's driving me nuts that I can't figure it out :(
Any experience with udder cream?

Last edited:
How far does the for loss extend under the chin? Is there consistently any wetness under the chin? Does she have a food dish edge it might be rubbing on when she eats?

How far does the for loss extend under the chin? Is there consistently any wetness under the chin? Does she have a food dish edge it might be rubbing on when she eats?

It's just the bottom lip, doesn't extend under her chin. The only time she's wet is after she drinks from the bowl. There is no drooling or wetness aside from drinking.
I never thought about the food bowl! But I don't think those would be an issue, they are all smooth ceramic and she always puts her feet in it to tip it towards her while she eats. Pellets are the only thing she eats from inside the bowl. She pulls the lettuce out one piece at a time and chews on it from a distance.
Maybe the hay rack? It's one of those plastic holders with the metal gate under spring tension that holds the hay. She sticks her face in and pulls to get strands of hay out.

Latest posts

Back