fur flying everywheresss.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butsy

Reaction score
ok so i know rabbits shed like a few times a year right? well i live in nb canada, and its been freeezing lately (-35), and i have noticed butsy (1yr old minilop) is shedding her undercoat like CRAZYY! She is an indoor rabbit but this still worries me .. why is she shedding all her warm coat during winter???

My cats tend to shed oposite of the season. In the winter they shed like crazy because they sleep on the heat vents. In the summer their fur gets thicker because the ac is on. I havn't had my bun long enough to know her fur shdding patterns yet, but I wouldn't be shocked if they are similar.

Otto just started shedding a couple weeks ago as well, though it's been cold here for a while.

My co-worker has an outdoor bun and his started shedding in October/November, in advance of the cold weather, because he needs to have enough fur to deal with it. Inside rabbits don't need to prepare for the cold, so their shedding cycles are off.

Get a Furminator or a FurBuster, or be cheap and get some of those lint rollers :p Jezz is shedding up a storm right now too, and she hates getting brushed so ive just been making her sit still and picking the fluffs out with my hands. its better than nothing :)

My outdoor rabbit is shedding at the moment and we're getting pretty cold weather here... is that ok? Her hutch is well-insulated and she seems very happy. Also eating normally and playing etc. so its probably nothing to be too worried about... or is it? :p

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Maybe with the indoor ones they key off of the amount of daylight rather than temperature.

I've thought this too - Otto always seems to start shedding right around the shortest day of the year in December.

I've had Hannah for 9 months and she's only shed once, so I can't figure out her schedule yet.

I live Los Angeles and my boy bun when he was younger shed/molted every other month (its was miserable); now that he older its slowed down and it also has helped that he has a bonded girl bun who takes care of his grooming needs, really cuts down on the flying fur!

it does seem curious when you are living in such a cold enviroment that they would shed, but maybe they do this to line their sleepingquarters?

Rabbits shed in cold climates shed to get rid of their summer coat and grow in a winter coat (just like dogs, horses, etc). With indoor rabbits the "winter coat" might not look any different than the "summer coat", but in an outdoor rabbit it can be obvious.

Latest posts

Back