Fur colour question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of between and behind the ears? It's an otter marking of tan fur if it's that. Sakura has it too but hers is white because she's a marten not an otter. I *think* thatg some other colours have it too in the agouti colour family but someone else would know better than me.

This is what I'm meaning:

OlsenBlackOtterNeck.jpg

And you can see Sakura's white bits here:

DSC04191.jpg

If you mean something else, I'm curious and would like to see a picture.

Yeh, is it the otter marking? My Sandy and Hope are bloack otters, and Star is a black otter butterfly (or broken black otter over there). They have sandy just underneath the nose, round the eyes, on the foot, around the white on their bellies and also on their eyes and behind them.

You can get a variety of otter colours, and also agouti will have that too, because it i genetically related to otter.

Jamie's a holland lop and he has a bit of tan edging on that spot, it looks like Sakura's only in light tan. no clue why it's there or anything. though:(

I know nothing about castor but my question would be is that colour part of the agouti genetic family? Hopefully someone will answer that because I find genetics fascinating.

Black based agouti with rex fur is called castor. Blue based is opal, chocolate based is called chocolate agouti or amber and lilac based agouti is called lynx. They all have the small triangle on the back of their neck.

Roger

Roger, they all? agouti or all bunnies? Tony has a difference of fur there. It's softer and a little difference in color.

Thanks RAL :D You've just made my day by sharing that knowledge.

Bo, I think he meant all those he named there.

The colors I described are all agouti colors. Castor and amber are terms used for rex furred rabbitsonly I believe. In most other breeds a black based agouti is usually referred to as just agouti. If I remember correctly castor is a french term named after the color of a beaver pelt.

Roger

LadyBug, I've always noticed that Jamie has an otter/agouti coloured coat, I pointed it out to you once or twice before I think. He's got the nose and eye markings as well.

From the look of him Ladybug, Jamie does look like a broken black otter :)

Latest posts

Back