Fungal infection and matted fur appeared on his chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnaaa.y

Reaction score
I took my French lob bunny to the vet yesterday because I was afraid he might have a fungal infection. And it turns out he does. We started giving his medicine yesterday, inserted through his mouth. However something appeared on the bottom of the chin this morning and it looks like matted fur but it’a hardened. It’s also yellow. Do I need to take him to the vet again or is he fine.

Attachments

• 8A07929C-0A75-4F7E-9AAC-2C88A89C8219.jpeg
    8A07929C-0A75-4F7E-9AAC-2C88A89C8219.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
Also I just called the vet and she said to wipe with a wet cloth but I tried to brush it out and it was too hard for it to be brushed. She also said it may be residue from the medicine being inserted through his mouth. But I’m not sure if that’s the case. Please let me know and if u need anymore information, I’ll give it to you.

It's probably the medicine like the vet said. You can just leave it if you want and it probably isn't going to be a problem for your bun, or ask your vet about trimming the fur there as this will probably keep happening until you have finished the medicine. Most important thing with trimming if you don't take your bun to the vet to do it, is it has to be done with extreme care. Blunt tip scissors and a flea comb or other thin comb in between the scissors and the skin, to prevent nipping the skin at all. Or buying small professional pet clippers with the right trimming blade.

Otherwise, soaking the hard fur might help in cleaning it up. But you wouldn't want to keep doing this as wetness isn't going to help with the fungal infection healing.

Did the vet check his teeth too, to make sure drooling from a dental issue wasn't the cause of the fungal infection starting?

I don’t think the vet checked his teeth. However she said this could’ve been caused by stress and from the hay he was eating. Apparently ringworms can be in hay and bunnies need to be be careful of that. I thought it was drool as well but she never said anything about it. She tested him for ring worms, however the test results don’t come back until a couple of weeks. She flashed a UV LIGHT on the areas that are scabbing and it glowed, meaning it was an fungal infection. However the fur under his chin is just extremely hard and I tried to comb it but I’m afraid it might hurt him. I did the wet cloth too because the receptionist told me and it still won’t soften up. I think I’m going to take him to the vet, tomorrow.

I would have the vet trim the fur to make it easier to take care of while your bun is being treated. Might be a good idea to ask about the teeth and possible drooling from dental issues, while you have your bun there.

Latest posts

Back