Frustrated!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DharmaBuns

Reaction score
Blarg!

I've had such a crummy winter in regards to breeding this year. NONE of my does got pregnant (even some of my "never-missers") this winter. Our first Big show here in Michigan is at the very beginning of March and I've got nothing to show for it. No baby Tans to take at all. :(

I'm not sure if I should wait until April or so and just breed for Convention or if I should keep trying. At this point I'm going to miss out on at least half of Michigan's very limited showing year......Ugh!!

You aren't the only one with problems. I'm reading that many other breeders have been having problems too. Our weather down here has been so crazy, I think the weather is causing a lot of the problem. I know we won't have much in the way of juniors to show at Nationals in April.

you are definitely not alone. . .
I have one that is supposed to kindle this weekend. We shall see

It's a shame that so many people are experiencing this.

I still don't know if I should keep trying to breed right now or wait until my Convention breedings? I'm not sure if everyone would be ready to be bred again in April

It depends on your weather. Ours hasn't fluctuated as drastically as it was. We stopped having chilly nights and avg temps are in the 70s. So mom bred one of her polish. Serena and another polish are due pretty soon now so we will see what happens

Yup im with ya. I have been breeding all my does since June with 2 litters. 2 litters due tomorrow, with undependable mothers breed 4 does i know are great moms and none of them took.... figures. lol

It's a shame that so many people are experiencing this.

I still don't know if I should keep trying to breed right now or wait until my Convention breedings? I'm not sure if everyone would be ready to be bred again in April

That would be pretty tight if you need to breed in April. You'd be weaning and re-breeding back to back almost. Could you keep trying to breed a couple and hold some for your April breeding?

It depends on your weather. Ours hasn't fluctuated as drastically as it was. We stopped having chilly nights and avg temps are in the 70s. So mom bred one of her polish. Serena and another polish are due pretty soon now so we will see what happens

You just thought the chilly nights were over....it goes back into the 40's starting Tuesday night. I HOPE they kindle before then!

You just thought the chilly nights were over....it goes back into the 40's starting Tuesday night. I HOPE they kindle before then!

40?!? That sounds TROPICAL right about now, lol! It's been getting below 0 here at night. Fortunately, it stays fairly warm where the bun buns are though!

Sorry you're having trouble! I'm in the same boat with the Polish, although one is FINALLY building a nest. She had a litter last summer, on the wire, and I lost them all. This weather has been utterly ridiculous...I'm ready for spring!

So um....heh..Sarah knows this but....one of my does gave birth this morning. COMPLETE surprise.

I like to consider myself a fairly good "palpater" but I totally missed the ball on this one. I also didn't think she had taken because I paired her with a buck that hasn't been able to give me babies for almost a year a half. It's funny, because this was literally his last chance. I told him that I'd let him go out swinging but that after a year and a half I couldn't afford to feed him anymore. To be honest, I was actually just going to make him a pet rabbit since he's such an absolute sweetheart.

I went in the room last night to say goodnight to all of the buns. I have a few of them indoors while it's SO cold outside. I noticed a whole big pile of fur on the floor and went to investigate. I looked in Whiskey's (from Sarah) cage and there was fur EVERYWHERE. She'd even made a tiny little fur-nest in the corner of the cage. I checked my calendar and...yup, last night would have been her due date. I quickly ran outside and got a nestbox all prepared for her and she went to town with it. She had a "Haystache" a mile wide and started immediately making her nest. I can only imagine that she was clenching her little loins trying to keep the babies inside.

Woke up this morning to find two little kits. One is MUCH bigger than the other so I'm hoping to give the tiny one some nursing time with mama tonight. He's already very very skinny so honestly, I'm not 100% sure he's going to make it. Fingers crossed. The other one is nice and plump. I don't want to get too excited but i THINK it might be blue. It's a different color from its sibling, in any case. Guess I'll have to wait and see! :)

SURPRISE BABIESSSSSSSSS

"clenching her loins!" awwww thats too funny. Glad you got some babies! He must have understood that was his last chance for some poon-tang and went to town extra ___ lol!

Yay haha I'm so happy for you! I said it was a blue on Facebook lol! I loved the clenching her loins lmao. I just had five little ones and mom has three :) babies are everywhere and there are going to be cuteness overload pics soon :D

Here are a couple pictures! Tiny black kit seems to be doing fine so far, so we'll see how things go with him.

Here's a picture of Whiskey last night, frantically building her nest:

NV96KK5.jpg

And here is a picture of the two babies. The blue baby on top is MUCH bigger than the tiny black one. The black one was born very skinny so I'm a tad concerned. Hopefully some extra time with mom will perk him up.

cnstWak.jpg

I love the "ZOMG! I procrastinated building this nest and now I'm almost out of time" stage! LOL The blue one is quite the chunk...I sure hope the little black one catches up. How soon before you can tell what the markings will be like?

Awwwwww!!!!! <3
Lol at mom! She's got SOOO much hay in her mouth!
And those babies are cutie pies! Hope they both are healthy :}

Latest posts

Back