Frustrated over babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mom2many

Reaction score
Well tomorrow is one week since Vladimir startedbuilding a nest. Still no babies, I'm seriously wondering ifshe had them and ate them. Is there any way of knowing if shedid that?? She is still bringing new hay into her nest andbuilding it up and making it more tunnel like but her fur is alreadygrowing back on her chest and tummy and no babies??? Anyonewith experience here? Please help.

Gestation is 31 days. Did you carefullycount the days since she was bred? Some does may experience afalse pregnancy and will build a nest even if notpregnant. If she had them and ate them,she would be full of milk by now (if she had the kits within the pastweek). Usually, there is some sign of kindling, such as alittle blood in the cage pan or nest box.

Being able to palpate is an accurate way of determining pregnancy by 14days. It's also an important skill to learn so that you areable to determine if there are any kits still "stuck" in the uterus orbirth canal.

Pam N.

Hi Mom2Many,

I wonder if she was ever pregnant to begin with to be honest, Mom2many.Her abdomen didn't appear to have grown, and I could be wrong, butweren't you unsure if she was pregnant?

If there's no question of a doubt that she is pregnant, with yourwatchful eye on her, I seriously doubt that she would've eaten them allup without leaving a trace. There would've been some evidence of bloodat least.

Some does will go up to Day 34. If she's hasn't delivered by the 35thday and you're sure she's pregnant, you might take her to the vet.

-Carolyn

The problem being that I only got her two weeksago and was told there was a possibility of molassis being pregnant butnot Vladimir. I will check her tummy and, see if I can figureanything out. Thanks for the info.

I understand, Mom2Many. Try picking up the doe and on a flat surface, atable or the ground, hold her by the scruff of her neck with one handand slide the other hand uder her belly. See if you can feel largemarbles on both sides or center of her belly. Weighing her will alsohelp to know if she's increasing in size.

-Carolyn

Hi mom2many! I'm sorry you have to go through thisanxiety, but I just went through something similar with nubby. Likeyou, I received my rabbit already pregnant, but didn't know it. Shestarted showing signs of pregnancy (nest building and and enlargedbirth canal) but I couldn't be sure. However, I knew she had givenbirth by the presence of blood on her legs and an area of wetness inthe cage that didn't look like pee. She had a pretty long gestationperiod of 33 days, but didn't seem to have an enlarged abdomen. And shehad six babies! I know, carolyn, you are probably wondering where theother 2 came from- they were hiding!! So anyway, keep hoping.

Well, I don't think that vladimir has any babiesinside her she just seems so tiny!! I can't seem to tellanything by 'palpating'. When I pick her up and then pick upMolassis there is a huge difference looking at them you can see thatmolassis is bigger but to pic them up makes it so obvious. Iam going to get my scale back from my brother and then I will weighthem, it is a small postal scale that goes to 30 lbs, and is veryaccurate, I use it usually for my snakes but should workfinefor the buns too. I should have asked morequestions from the girl I got them from such as when did she remove themale from the cage so that I would at least have an idea as to thelatest possible due date for babies. Their vaginalarea seems completely normal as well on both of them, Molassis' tummydoes seem to be quite large though. I'm going to have tolearn to palpate properly though.

Well, normally 10 days to 2 weeks after they are pregnant, you canusually feel the 'marbles' or signs of life in there. The postage scalewill work great in weighing her. What does she do with the hay you giveher? Does she immediately start making a nest with it?

-Carolyn

Vladimir is the only one that has been nesting andevery time I give them fresh hay she takes a bunch into her nest it isbecoming more burrow like. If she isn't pregnant I want toput her in with the other bunnies but she just fights with the malewhen I tried.

The actions of fighting with the buck and not eating the hay but building the nest with it are strong signs of pregnancy.

As Nubbybun said, her doe didn't look that big.

Is she eating and drinking normally? Some does go off of their feed a day before or the day of giving birth.

-Carolyn

I havent' seen her eating recently another reasonI'm concerned!! Even when I put in the fresh veggies sheisnt' coming to eat them this past week but she was the first week wehad her.

Well, when I wen to check on her today she hadagain emptied the hay box into her nest but she has also plucked abunch more of her fur, the nest is now litterally fluffy!!Maybe she just started early since I had put the nest box in sosoon. She also popped out to eat a few dandelions that mygirls had picked for them. Maybe we will get healthy babiesyet!! Keep wishing us luck!

Latest posts

Back