Frozen water bottle for cooling bunny advice needed please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camsmum49

Reaction score
Hi all you lovely bunny people, I just want some advice please. I got my first rabbit in years (I'll be neutering then getting him a girlfriend shortly by the way don't worry, just wanted to bond with him myself first).

When I used to have rabbits I remember putting a water bottle in the freezer and putting that in their hutch so they could use it to cool down in the summer. Now it's getting hot again I've done that for the first time today but it's led me to 2 questions.

1. Am I doing the right thing by doing this for him?

2. If I am right by doing this, how can I 'explain' to him it's to help him? I briefly held the bottle against him so he could feel the cold then showed him me putting it down in the hope that he would realise but I haven't seen him lay near it at all today. However it's in his plastic cage because it will melt and get anything underneath it wet, but he has a whole room to himself so he doesn't often go in his cage during the day so he may have used it and I just haven't seen as I am in and out of there all day.

PS I put this in nutrition and behaviour as I thought him using the water bottle for cooling was a behaviour but please move as necessary. Thank you all in advance.

Hey! Nice to see there's other people getting ready for summer, too! I think it might be a good idea to have more than one cool bottle, perhaps in places he often goes. If you're worried about it getting wet, you could coat it in an old sock or similar - this way the rabbit won't get wet when he leans on it either.

If he's inside - which I presume he is, from what you've said - and you have AC, that could be used. If not, you could perhaps use a ceiling or freestanding fan - but be sure the wires are out of the way. Also, don't point it directly at him. Or, you could (as a makeshift AC) you could place a bowl of ice right in front of a fan. I've never tried it, but apparently it works pretty well.

Hope this has helped!

Thanks so much for your help Karaliene, much appreciated. I'm in England so our summers probably can't compare to some places in the world but it's pretty hot at the mo so I have the window open constantly but will probably try a fan as you suggest (AC is pretty rubbish here or very expensive).

I've attached a photo of my rabbit room and Cam just because really, can you tell I love buying him toys! I've actually got 2 more boxes of toys ready for him so he always has something new every couple of days. IMG_20200601_173400813.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_173409029.jpg
    IMG_20200601_173409029.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 0
Thanks so much for your help Karaliene, much appreciated. I'm in England so our summers probably can't compare to some places in the world but it's pretty hot at the mo so I have the window open constantly but will probably try a fan as you suggest (AC is pretty rubbish here or very expensive).

I've attached a photo of my rabbit room and Cam just because really, can you tell I love buying him toys! I've actually got 2 more boxes of toys ready for him so he always has something new every couple of days. View attachment 48314
Oh wow, he is so adorable! And yes, it's quite obvious how much you dote on him... he surely is one lucky bunny. I'm UK too, and soaking up the good weather... although in about a month, when I get my rabbits, I think I'll be more concerned than I currently am.

Hopefully the fan cools him a little - keep us updated!

If it's below 26C in the house, he should be fine. I've known rabbits that just won't go near a frozen bottle no matter how hot it gets.

Another trick is to get a square piece of porcelain tile for him to lay on. That may be enough to cool him down. OR you can even have two tiles and keep one in the fridge to rotate with the other.

When it gets over 75-80 F I put some Ice packs inside his hidey house under some blankets.

Latest posts

Back