frozen fruit and berrys?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrmom26

Reaction score
hello all i make smoothies on a regular basis in my house so i always have a abundance of frozen fruits and berry's like raspberries, strawberry, blueberry's as well as frozen melons peaches etc etc. i gave Loki a frozen strawberry last night since it had been a humid hot day, he loved it! i think it was a perfect summer treat but i am now wondering what i can give him and how often can i do it? one frozen treat a day? as in one piece or one berry? are their fruits i should stay away from? thanks in advance :biggrin2:

I think one piece of frozen fruit a day would be a good amount. I should have someone rationing my sugar intake!! Also, I copied this off the House Rabbit Society website:

FRUITS
These should be no more than 10% of the diet (about 1 teaspoon per 2 lbs of body weight per day). NOTE: unless otherwise stated it is more nutritious to leave the skin on the fruit (particularly if organic), just wash thoroughly. IF you are in doubt about the source of the fruit and you are concerned about chemicals in the skin, then remove it.
Apple (any variety, without stem and seeds)
Cherries (any variety, without the pits)
Pear
Peach
Plum (without the pits)
Kiwi
Papaya
Mango
Berries (any type)
Berries (uncooked)
Pineapple (remove skin)
Banana (remove peel; no more than about 2 1/8 inch slices a day for a 5 lb rabbit…they LOVE this!)
Melons (any – can include peel and seeds)
Star Fruit
Apricot
Currants
Nectarine

thanks so much i just noticed the other thread tacked to the top just now i should i searched better before making a thread thanks again :)

Frozen fruit is a great treat idea in warm weather! I'll do that for my guys when summer rolls around again for us, I'm sure they'll love it. :)

When we lived in Oklahoma, where it was ridiculously hot and humid, I'd give Rue and Nut Puppet bits of frozen fruits and veggies to keep them cool and they loved it. I've offered Pond and Fox bits of frozen banana and strawberries, but they're not interested.

I wish Sophie would eat frozen treats but she seems scared of anything frozen. When it's really hot and I put a frozen water bottle in her cage, she stares at it as if it's some evil thing! Lol

Frozen treats are good for keeping cool, just have to be careful as if they're too hard then I think they can injure their teeth on them trying to bite into them. I think many fruits freeze semi-hard so it's not too much of an issue, but something to keep in mind :)

my loki loves his frozen water bottle i sewed a pillow case vertically and cut a hole on one side to slid the water bottle into so loki could not actually see the water bottle because for what ever reason he has a nutty when he see's water bottles lol in my house we have a cat, dog, and loki so we often top up the water dish during the day and we have gotten into the habit of using the spring water if we have some left in the bottom of a single serving bottle . well the first time i went to do this to loki omg he dived at me, slammed the water bottle out of my hand, and soaked him self. i laughed for like ten minutes he was so mad he got wet lol now the first time he did this i thought it was me not the bottle lets just say loki is not my biggest fan (we're working on it hence the frozen fruit treats :pet: ) but my son did this once and he also flew at the water bottle so then i figured it wasn't me but the bottle that was the enemy that day .

Latest posts

Back