Freya seems off

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearly the sedation was still in effect and helpful for us to administer medicine on our own at home. This morning she was full of energy and ran from us and thumped her leg off as we were trying to pick her up to hold her to give her medicine. I finally got hold of her and she nipped me pretty hard. Then I tried to give her the syringe and she bit it, took it from me, and threw it. She did that a few times before I was able to start squeezing meds into her mouth. She was not happy at all.

Lots of poops happened last night in and out of the litter box.
Good news, though. She's no longer off and pooping again. So glad she's doing better. Do you think maybe it was the gloves that she took out of the trash that did it, if she was able to rip it apart? The important thing, she's better now and she can go back to being a diva again.

Good news, though. She's no longer off and pooping again. So glad she's doing better. Do you think maybe it was the gloves that she took out of the trash that did it, if she was able to rip it apart? The important thing, she's better now and she can go back to being a diva again.
The glove was after her symptoms began. It could be any number of things. Her diet is basically perfect, and the vet said so herself. Unlimited Timothy Hay, Oxbow Essentials Young Rabbit Alfalfa Pellets @ 1/8-1/4 cup per day, and 1-2 cups of Romaine Lettuce and Dandelion Greens per day. So she should have been flowing normally. HOWEVER, the vet did ask me if she'd been chewing at carpet, and indeed she had been. She chewed a hole the day before her symptoms started. For awhile now we would catch her tearing up strands. Trying to stop her is futile. The only immediate solution was to keep her in her cage and pen area and forego free roaming. Instead of doing that we bought some rugs today that are soft yet she won't chew because they don't have strands to grab on to. These are like the rug that is in her pen that she's never once been caught chewing and the rug shows no signs of chewing. We bought several and I'm going to create a space for her in the room with the interlocked. She showed no signs of a true blockage on the x-rays though, just a bunch of food residue and a slow moving gut. Whether the carpet is responsible is really unknown.

This afternoon and evening she seems to have become her old self again. She's zooming, doing binkies, playing, sprawling out for pets, and grooming us. She's devouring hay and jumping and running for joy when she hears her pellet bag being opened.

I found a better way to administer the medicine without having to hold her and forcibly squeeze a syringe into her mouth. The bottom part of the Romaine Lettuce is a thick yet soft stem. I cut about an inch and a half of stem off and took a toothpick and hollowed it out. I then squeezed the 0.15 ml of meds into it, and then clogged the hole with a leafy green part of the lettuce by using the toothpick to shove it down into the hole. I gave her afternoon and night time dose this way and she ate it right up.

I'm really happy to hear she's back to her energetic joyful self! Good thinking with the meds! Why force meds when you can trick them into taking it willingly :p

The glove was after her symptoms began. It could be any number of things. Her diet is basically perfect, and the vet said so herself. Unlimited Timothy Hay, Oxbow Essentials Young Rabbit Alfalfa Pellets @ 1/8-1/4 cup per day, and 1-2 cups of Romaine Lettuce and Dandelion Greens per day. So she should have been flowing normally. HOWEVER, the vet did ask me if she'd been chewing at carpet, and indeed she had been. She chewed a hole the day before her symptoms started. For awhile now we would catch her tearing up strands. Trying to stop her is futile. The only immediate solution was to keep her in her cage and pen area and forego free roaming. Instead of doing that we bought some rugs today that are soft yet she won't chew because they don't have strands to grab on to. These are like the rug that is in her pen that she's never once been caught chewing and the rug shows no signs of chewing. We bought several and I'm going to create a space for her in the room with the interlocked. She showed no signs of a true blockage on the x-rays though, just a bunch of food residue and a slow moving gut. Whether the carpet is responsible is really unknown.

This afternoon and evening she seems to have become her old self again. She's zooming, doing binkies, playing, sprawling out for pets, and grooming us. She's devouring hay and jumping and running for joy when she hears her pellet bag being opened.

I found a better way to administer the medicine without having to hold her and forcibly squeeze a syringe into her mouth. The bottom part of the Romaine Lettuce is a thick yet soft stem. I cut about an inch and a half of stem off and took a toothpick and hollowed it out. I then squeezed the 0.15 ml of meds into it, and then clogged the hole with a leafy green part of the lettuce by using the toothpick to shove it down into the hole. I gave her afternoon and night time dose this way and she ate it right up.

Good luck with the carpet chewing thing. Sir Lawrence loves to chew the carpet, and over the years, he's gotten the point that I don't like it, and has mostly quit. I'd say keep telling her you don't like it, and hopefully you'll make some progress.

Latest posts

Back