Fresh Pumpkin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I really think there is a thread about thisaround here somewhere, but I couldn't locate it through the search andI don't remember who posted it.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if my buns can have the stringy insidestuff from the pumpkins just carved? It's pretty wet, so I'mworried about diarrhea. But I think it's probably really goodfor them. If I give it, should I try to squeeze out the juice?

Jen

I've gone through a bunch of the old threads,and many on here do feed them fresh pumpkin, so I think it's all right.:) Some buns don't like the canned and only take the fresh.

Jen, I don't think you have much to worry about, they'd probably enjoy the pumpkin in moderation;)

As for squeezing out the juice I would a little so it's not so gooey and sloppy.

Jen ,

Unbeknown to me Hubby took all thePumpkin guts from Cassi'sPumpkin ( very large one ) ,and went around to every bun witha small handfull . I was a bitTweaky aboutit andwell lets just say I FLEW off the handle. I was concerned over the moisture content , andwhat it would do , being rawand all , Secondly Iwas Miffed he tookthe seeds and I didnt get a chanceto roast them asHuman treats :growl: Whatreally made me mad was ,: Does anyoneknow what fresh pumpkin does to a WHITELong haired rabbit face ~! or even theshort haired Whites ! ,

So while I was sitting there contemplatingmurder,they sat there happily munching away on pumpkin, Now that Halloween is overthe carved pumpkinwill be peeled and ground upand cooked down ,and put intojars for the next round ofproblems , Some may be frozenas well for us humansas a sweet treat veggi.

I highly suggest cooking andfreezing the carved pumpkinfor Money reasons andbesides why waste a perfectly good pumpkin .

Gypsy: That's a great idea!! I thinkI'll have to do that. We have trick-or-treat tonight, so I'llhave to do it then. Any cooking suggestions? Justin a pan with a little water??

Thanks,

Jen

what I like todo it cut it into cunks orgrate it into larger shreds ,simmer with a bit of water , Or youcan steam the whole pumpkin ( be sure to keepan eye on the water level , nothingstinks worse than burned pumpkin ) ,inthe oven in a shallow pan ofwater untill the pumpkin istender . Put it through a ricerOr you can just mash it up .

No worries about germs orbacteria the Cooking process killsthe germs and anything frozen for aweek will be germ free. Be sure to peelaway any dried upspots, What I do ispeel the insides so your backto moist pumpkin rather than driedand yukky . I have done thissince Shadow was a glimmer ,and it has worked well for me .My whole issue is I hate to wasteanything and Pumpkins carved afew days ahead are saveable andreuseable .

Not a bad idea. I should go and buy me a punkinand do that for emergencies for MeatHead. He has gotten rid majority ofhis baby fur but I still get worried cause when he is out at play timesometimes he would tick me off my digging at the carpet. Not our carpetour landlords carpet. lol

Latest posts

Back