Fresh grass

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys
I was wanting to start feeding my bunnies fresh veggies & grass I was wondering if you guys could give me ideas of diff veggies I could grow for them that are safe to eat. Also if it was safe for them to eat Catgrass.
Thanks in advanced!

What kind of catgrass? Fresh catnip, I'm inclined to avoid... but if it's the wheatgrass kind, that stuff is insanely easy to grow and bunnies love it! Rye, wheat, oat, etc. grasses can all be grown on a kitchen windowsill or something very easily.

This is a great article about rabbit-safe veggies. Most herbs are also popular with rabbits.

Thank you I will buy some wheat seeds so I can start growing those. The package i got just says catgrass on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190422-165946_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190422-165946_Chrome.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 7
That looks like wheatgrass... I found that item on the Lowe's site and under specifications, it says the botanical name is "Tritium aestivum" which Google says is "common wheat," so it looks like I was right. That said, you'll blow through a teeny seed packet in no time with rabbits. If you go to Amazon and search for wheat seeds, you can usually find a 5 lb bag for around $12-14 (including shipping). That's by far the most economical way if you want to grow wheatgrass regularly. The seeds are good for at least a year if stored in a cool, dry place. You can grow it on just about any planting medium... I usually use either vermiculite or a combination of vermiculite and perlite, as I bought gigantic bags of each from Home Depot for gardening purposes anyway. I really like the way it grows on vermiculite (around $21 for two cubic feet, which will last you eons), but you could easily use potting soil or that coir/coco stuff or something. Regardless of the medium you use, make sure to germinate the seeds before "planting" them (sprinkling on top the medium, not covering them up with it).

Latest posts

Back