Frequent Grunting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbunny

Reaction score
Another behavioural question:

My Bighead grunts very frequently. I consider him my happiest bunny (flops over the most), and he has a fairly easy-going temperament. He is not a violent bunny (although there was one time he tried to charge at a plate of pomelo).

On the other hand, Bighead grunts when he is very excited, happy, fed, picked up, check ups, angry...very often. An average of 5-12 times a day.

I was just wondering if there are any buns out there that grunt nearly as often as the Bighead does.

Note: I have been told by my vet that it is normal and does happen sometimes with some rabbits, but it is a bit strange for me. Also, Bighead has been fixed.

Does it always sound the same, no matter what his mood is?

My rabbit must be at the other end of the continuum. She's made 1 vocalization in the 10 weeks I've had her.

Congratulations you have a very vocal rabbit. He's trying to communicate with you. Grunts sometimes are not defensive noises, but happy noises.

I get grumbles from Dobby every time I pick him up. And then after I have him, he's a big teddy bear. It's just his way of saying, "What do you want from me now".

No aggression from him ever. He's just my grumbling "Couch Potato". Always has to have the last word when I pick him up.

You are getting to know your bunny who happens to be a talker.

He sounds like a pleasure.

K :)

Thanks for sharing and letting me know.

Yes, it sounds about the same. For me, I think it's like a smaller and quieter piglet's grunt. I think it was louder the one time that he tried to charge at my friend's plate of pomelo. He really wanted that fruit. (None for him unfortunately.)

Yes, I also get a small grunt when I pick him up each time as well. He doesn't mind being picked up and he's really relaxed about it. I think it's the surprise from getting off the ground each time.

Becky grunts at breakfast every day. She runs in circles when I pick the dish up to put in the pellets and perriscopes as I start to put the dish down. She happily grunts away like a little piggy while she eats. You would think she had not been fed in days. She also makes other soft little noises when she's happy. Becky is also the one that LOVES to throw toys with bells. The noisier the toy the more she likes it.

Gary makes the sweetest little squeek when I pick him up. It sounds like he's saying "Please don't eat me, I'm a cute little baby!"

The other two don't make any noise other than thumping on occasion.

Nik-Nik used to do that when you opened her hutch up and then she come over and lick my hand. Lilli also does the grunt, especially when we're not fast enough with the food or treats and then she want to be rubbed on her head and ears. Rabbits!

Yea, I have a very vocal bunny myself. My Buster is always making noise. He is not neutered though, so I thought that was the reason. Sometimes when I am not paying attention to him he will grunt to get my attention. I can't complain though, I would rather have him grunt at me, then bite me to get my attention. :D

My little Q gets grumbly at treat time. She'll run at me and grunt when I'm giving her treats, or when I go to put hay in her cage. So far those are the only vocalizations I've heard out of her (but she does it every time she gets a treat, so she does it quite often). With her, she's a sweetie...she just grunts. However, we used to have a really vocal bunny who was sort of an evil rabbit. She grunted any time anyone got near her...but then again, she was just exceptionally mean.
But my little sweetheart is a grumbly bunny...I think it's pretty cute.

Latest posts

Back