French Lops molting 365

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our French Lops are molting 365 days a yr. They are our bonded pair. They are in an a/c'd room when not running the house. They both shed primary around their hips and rear-end. They eat Timothy hay, Oxbow Adult rabbit food, fresh veg everyday.
Is this normal?? over the years we had mini lops, and they never shed like these two. Is there anything we can do?
Thanks

Some rabbits just shed differently. I have one that seems like he's almost always in a molt, then I had another that would shed maybe once a year.

A few things I can think to try to see if it helps at all is, I know breeders will sometimes increase the dietary protein to help finish a molt. There aren't a lot of good healthy ways to do this without increasing calcium or pellets too much either. About the only good healthy way I can think is by feeding a leafier higher protein grass hay, that has less stalky bits in it.

Another possibility for a rabbit having a rough coat, is an internal parasite load. And for this it would require a course of the proper dewormer, usually fenbendazole, or sometimes ivermectin/revolution(selamectin). And this is best done with a rabbit vet doing a fecal float test first.

Latest posts

Back