Free roaming?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wenzie

Reaction score
I have a bunny and she lives in a cage. I've heard rabits should be free roamed but in my house there is a dog and a cat. I don't think it would be a good idea to have two predators near my bunny. What do you guys think?

Just start by doing brief periods at a time and see how she does. Then, slowly introduce the other animals but make sure your bun has a safe place to run to in case she gets scared. If all goes well, I progressed to having my rabbits out of their cages for the entire day within a week or so, but I still put them away at nighttime just for their safety and my sanity!

I also have a dog and 2 cats who do fine with the bunnies; in fact, they steal the dog's food from his dish right in front of his face and he just watches them sadly! Haha! It all depends on the personalities of the individual animals, start slow and see where it goes.

Good luck!
Kristin

My rabbits do fine with my 4 dogs & 1 cat. They play with 2 of my dogs & my other 2 dogs ignore the rabbits. My buns are free roam, but I do lock them up when I am not home & at night, because they are destructive. They get let out first thing in the morning before I go to work for an hr or so, an hr over lunch & then all evening until bed time, 5-ish hrs.
I first started with a small space, then gradually increased as they figured out the litter box situation.

I got a bit of the same setup as CharlieRae. But we live with one rabbit and one dog only. Be patient and it is possible for sure.

It all depends on the individual dogs and cats. Many can be taught to behave properly around a rabbit. I have dogs as well but have made an effort to be sure the dogs are taught how to behave. You don't want them to play with the rabbit the way that dogs play (mock predator behavior). They need to be shown what is acceptable. I think it is important to teach the dog and not just put them together and hope for the best. It should be done with a plan and purpose.

Some dogs have too much genetic predisposition to be around a pet rabbit. This link explains how I've introduced my dogs and rabbits. The cage door to my rabbits' cage is open from morning til we go to bed.

shiloh-gandalf.jpg

20180115-192149_orig.jpg

This video are parts taken from an episode of Animal Planet that we were on with our then rescued bunny...and Newfoundland.

I feel the need to correct myself, "possible for sure" might not be true.
But it will FOR SURE take A LOT of hard work and time from you in order to possibly make it work.

Agreed with Blue Eyes, need to be with a plan and purpose.

It really depends on the breed if it’s a good choice in your home. We have a schnoodle that is 19 lbs and some rabbits snuff her and follow her and others don’t have anything to do with her. I would not leave my rabbit out however if there isn’t a person home. Both dogs and wires would be a worry for me if I wasn’t home, but I’m a worrier. We’ve never had a problem with our cats and rabbits together. They get along well.

Our house cat is an avid hunter--a first class predator. Hardly a day goes by that he does not bring us a "present" of a dead mouse laid at our front door. Any kind of wildlife is not safe around it. Even so, we've raised two kits in the house with us with the cat looking on. Whenever he paid too much attention to the buns--as if he were ready to pounce on them--we would tell him "No!" He watches closely when we give the babes their treats or when they jump up on our lap. If the cat makes any kind of move toward them, he's corrected.

It is working out. Even so, we don't take chances. We never leave the cat and the buns unattended. If we leave the room, the cat goes outdoors or gets confined to a separate room. He knows the buns are strictly "paws off;" but, we also know the cat will try to get by with the forbidden when he's not being watched. Again, we don't take any chances. I rate our experience as a happy success.

Hi,
I have two ofy rabbits free roam in my home along with 3 cats and two large dogs. My dogs and cats seem to understand the difference between the rabbits that live in our home and the wild rabbits outside. I have had no problems. Blue eyes, one of my dogs looks a lot like yours .

We don't have dogs, but in general, I back others' advice that it depends on breed/prey drive of the dogs as well as proper training. Blue eyes has some great advice in this department.

As for cats, honestly, I'm iffier about that. It definitely depends on the cat, but even the laziest (in my case 17 year old) cat has been known to swat at a rabbit who pushed it just a little too much... and cats' claws (and teeth) harbor bacteria that can make scratches/bites especially dangerous. A cat who is just 'playing' could accidentally claw a rabbit just as easily as they can you (especially since rabbits have very thin and sensitive skin). This thread highlights the dangers of cats and rabbits. Even with veterinary treatment, cat scratches are far too often fatal to rabbits - for that reason, I recommend not allowing cats and rabbits together unsupervised. If you can't supervise the rabbit/cat interactions, I suggest limiting them to separate rooms.

We've got 4 (2-3 year old) cats these days and 3 rabbits. For some reason, the cats will chase and stalk Alice like she's prey (perhaps it's her lop ears?) but don't tend to show any interest in Nala (our lionhead) and Layne (our 8 lb potato of a polish mix). That said, we still make sure someone's in the room and keeping an eye on things when the rabbits are loose unless the cats are locked in another part of the apartment - better safe than sorry, you know?

A warning story: We have two dogs. One is extraordinarily tolerant of children and other dogs. We can hold our buns and she will not bother them. However, we adopted another dog from a shelter and one of our buns was at table height outside of her cage and we didn't expect trouble but he jumped up and tried to take a bite out of her tushy. Miss Bun had a bare spot the size of a quarter where he'd ripped out ALL of her fur.

Needless to say our buns only get floor time when the doors are closed to their room. Instead, I built them a "condo" that is about 55 square feet in size so they can chase each other around.

Be wary, I lost my beautiful angora boys to my dogs Christmas Eve. Make sure your dogs can’t push their way into your habitats or play areas. I’m still devestated and actually considered surrendering the dogs. Dogs will be dogs and bunnies are prey. Hard lesson to learn

Be wary, I lost my beautiful angora boys to my dogs Christmas Eve. Make sure your dogs can’t push their way into your habitats or play areas. I’m still devestated and actually considered surrendering the dogs. Dogs will be dogs and bunnies are prey. Hard lesson to learn
Oh my gosh that's terrible! I had a dog that ate my chickens and I was devastated. I'm praying for you

They can get along sometimes when everyone is calm, but if something startles your rabbit and he/she starts acting like prey, such as darting across the room, it can be very exciting for a cat or dog. The calm dynamic can fall apart in an instant. I wouldn't risk leaving them alone with access to each other.

Latest posts

Back