Free roaming?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, what? You family and buns were on TV? That sounds like it needs its own thread on RO :)

Ha! Thanks!
I wish I could find the episode online. It was from a series called Animal Planet Rescue Heroes: Phoenix which was later re-named Animal Cops. It was in 2005/6. I have a copy on an old VHS tape which isn't good quality. The clip I've posted is just a portion of what aired that had included us. And I only got that by holding a camera in front of the TV while playing the crappy VHS tape. (sigh) Guess I assumed it would always be readily available online.

7191B413-2ACE-4721-B5B8-CE1F24082E01.jpeg
Our two floofs. Nahko the mini lop is free roaming all day and night with our cat Gidget. There visits were supervised at first. We made sure that she knew that he’s part of the family and not food. We let him free roam a few hrs at a time while we went on short trips to the grocery store, etc. and now I can say I trust him and Gidget completely to be alone together. It’s pretty great. Nahko feels more confident in his space bc he now feels like the house is also his. Just be sure to have all things he likes to chew away. Nahko like cords so those are either tucked away or protected. Good luck!!

Tawny is completely free roam and has been since I brought her home. I don't even have a cage and she sleeps on my bed. We have 2 dogs and a cat. There aren't any problems, not between any of them. The cat is an idiot, but he's sweet enough. They get along fine, Tawny rules the roost.

BUT...this is only because, from the moment each animal joins our family, they are not allowed to be anything other than sweet and loving. They've never been allowed to chase, so they never have. The cat has never been allowed to swipe at anyone. Which has it's downsides, as he will not hunt mice. Trade off, I guess.

Hi. My two free roam our one bed flat.
We use play pens (Amazon) and cable guard to protect what we don't want damaged.
In both rooms it's bunny bunny bunny centred .

Be wary, I lost my beautiful angora boys to my dogs Christmas Eve. Make sure your dogs can’t push their way into your habitats or play areas. I’m still devestated and actually considered surrendering the dogs. Dogs will be dogs and bunnies are prey. Hard lesson to learn

Oh Christmas Eve? :( I am so sorry.

We lost our sweet Bailey the day after New Year’s to GI stasis from eating some suspect leaves at the park on a walk. Earlier that week, our cat snuck into her playpen and she hopped out, so he got excited about the chase. When we got home, we found patches of her fur all over the living room, and she was hiding under one of our recliners. It made me so sad, and so mad at our cat, I even thought about rehoming him. The whole predator/prey thing is such an unfortunate plight. Try as we might, we want to socialize our animals and hope they “do the right thing” but we forget their instinct to hunt is very easily triggered :(

My cats used to fear the rabbits and run away from them. One of them is simply curious now but the other tries to attack the rabbits and swipes at them. So now we have cat time and rabbit time completely separately!

My bunny free roamed before Lenny the bunny was born. I had a cat that adored my bunny but the bunny wasn't crazy about her. The cat thought of the rabbit as another cat. The rabbit didn't quiet understand that cat was playing and the rabbit would just kick and punch the cat in the face and the cat would just take it. My rabbit didn't want the cat around all the time, so I had to have a separate area for bunny play time and another area for cat and bunny cuddle time.

Latest posts

Back