Free Roaming to Caged

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xel

Reaction score
Hi! I have two rabbits, Luna and Lucien, and they're free roaming rabbits. They have their own room for night time, but they've got a lot of space in their room. My fiance and I are buying a new house, and there isn't a good space (right now) for their room. We are buying a house with an extra room, and we are thinking about turning that into their room, but until we can get it all set up (tear up carpet, lay down tile, bunny proof the entire room) we need to move them to a cage. I'm worried about it, a lot. Lucien does NOT like cages. He gets angry and aggresive in cages. I want to get him a good *temporary* cage, but itll probably be for a few weeks while we get everything situated in the house. Do you guys have any tips on making it a comfortable transition for him? Any cages (even building one) ideas for them? Lucien jumps REALLLLYY high. My cat has a cat tower (over 4 feet off the ground) and he jumps and and down off that like its NOTHING. Every play pen we get he can just jump over, and then he binkies into areas he knows hes not allowed in.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Hi! I have two rabbits, Luna and Lucien, and they're free roaming rabbits. They have their own room for night time, but they've got a lot of space in their room. My fiance and I are buying a new house, and there isn't a good space (right now) for their room. We are buying a house with an extra room, and we are thinking about turning that into their room, but until we can get it all set up (tear up carpet, lay down tile, bunny proof the entire room) we need to move them to a cage. I'm worried about it, a lot. Lucien does NOT like cages. He gets angry and aggresive in cages. I want to get him a good *temporary* cage, but itll probably be for a few weeks while we get everything situated in the house. Do you guys have any tips on making it a comfortable transition for him? Any cages (even building one) ideas for them? Lucien jumps REALLLLYY high. My cat has a cat tower (over 4 feet off the ground) and he jumps and and down off that like its NOTHING. Every play pen we get he can just jump over, and then he binkies into areas he knows hes not allowed in.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
Can you just put lino over the carpeting as a temporary solution? I think it would take a few minutes. If he doesn't like cages, can you just make a corner of your room rabbit-proof to build light wall so they could stay there like 4-5 square metres? I don't know how your room looks would be great if you could post some photo here but I saw recently someone made a nice corner for their bunny it's not a cage but still looking controllable.

I will repost here one photo I found but check out their live cam to see their setup, here's one thread with pictures and link to their bunny camera
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/hello-meet-skipper-piper.93406/

upload_2019-1-3_20-45-12-jpeg.39051

Reactions: Xel
Oh these are my buns! Thanks for sharing these Poopypoo! We threw down some plywood and then looked for “leftover” laminate flooring that people are always selling after renos or whatever. Then hubby built the enclosure 4 feet tall. I have one jumper so I have to be careful where I put boxes, but eventually, we will add a second level and then we might have to close in the top. It was pretty quick to put together, but it was my husband that did most of the work, haha!

Can you just put lino over the carpeting as a temporary solution? I think it would take a few minutes. If he doesn't like cages, can you just make a corner of your room rabbit-proof to build light wall so they could stay there like 4-5 square metres? I don't know how your room looks would be great if you could post some photo here but I saw recently someone made a nice corner for their bunny it's not a cage but still looking controllable.

I will repost here one photo I found but check out their live cam to see their setup, here's one thread with pictures and link to their bunny camera
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/hello-meet-skipper-piper.93406/

upload_2019-1-3_20-45-12-jpeg.39051

Would Lino work over carpet? I was worried it wouldn't (but I dont know much about it).

Their room is larger. I'm not sure if I have photos, but it's an enclosed deck. Full of windows, very nice light for them and large (length of our entire house, and as wide (at least) as our master bedroom. I guess I dont know the exact dimensions. They have a lot of boxes in there because Lucien loves to jump up and down off of things, and if it isnt boxes, he goes for the windows. Luna really enjoys to go through things. Cat tunnels and the boxes. So I've cut holes in a lot of the boxes so she can run through them in a circle while bunny does his hopping. Nothing too special, I suppose. Just a lot of room to run in circles and jump up and down at 2 a.m. :)

When I wanted to protect carpet from rabbits without ripping up said carpet, I went with garage tiles (on top of a tarp, just in case they peed on the tile and it leaked through them).

Latest posts

Back