Free roam bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunnyBabbit

Reaction score
I may be fostering and rescuing rabbits.
I plan on keeping them in a large wire dog pen, but mostly using it as a homebase. I'll be open most of the day. But I fony want them to go all around the house. But our house is fairly open, so how can I keep them from going into the dining room and other rooms?
Also, what sort of rug should I use I their pen? I don't want them to chew it. Which kind is best in y'alls experience?

I haven't had a free roam bunny, but using baby gates might work. As for the rug, a natural fiber rug might work, but as I said before my rabbit isn't a free roam so I'm not 100% sure. A jute rug seems like it would work well. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
For flooring look into stable matting or cushioned, non-slip lino. If you want to keep them out of certain areas use gates or room dividers or playpen panels. Make sure the floor outside of the pen is not slippery. Don't free roam right from the start, initially only let them out for short periods and watch them all the time they are out. Also don't give them too much space right away, gradually expand space. Good luck!

For flooring look into stable matting or cushioned, non-slip lino. If you want to keep them out of certain areas use gates or room dividers or playpen panels. Make sure the floor outside of the pen is not slippery. Don't free roam right from the start, initially only let them out for short periods and watch them all the time they are out. Also don't give them too much space right away, gradually expand space. Good luck!
Thanks!
I'm only going to let them free roam for short periods and supervise like you said, since they aren't litter trained yet. Keeping them to a smaller area will help them feel safer and they won't have as many accidents.

We have hardwood flooring and tile in the area's they would be, and one room with a rug (which they'll be supervised in). I'll get some bunny safe area rugs to keep them from slipping around.

Thanks!
I'm only going to let them free roam for short periods and supervise like you said, since they aren't litter trained yet. Keeping them to a smaller area will help them feel safer and they won't have as many accidents.

We have hardwood flooring and tile in the area's they would be, and one room with a rug (which they'll be supervised in). I'll get some bunny safe area rugs to keep them from slipping around.
If the pen is large enough, best not to let them out of the pen for a couple of weeks so they establish good litter tray habits.

Latest posts

Back