Free range of my room? Ideas/ opinions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetwobunnies

Reaction score
So I have 2 holland lops, they are bonded but the female is NOT spayed YET (she is only 4 months old now and the male has been neutered for well over a year) I am just so tired of cleaning their cage! Because it's an xpen and one side is against the wall? So sometimes they get on the second level and pee and it falls over the edge and gets on the actual floor and it's hard to clean because moving the cage takes so long because they have a second level and it's VERY heavy.

So I was thinking of taking the cage out completely? And taking out the second level and all the wooden dowels and using the xpen as a barrier instead of as a cage? My room is VERY small, I have attached a picture of the cage, and you can see part of my bed, well my bed is against the wall, and that's it. I was standing in the hallway when I took that picture because I had no room in my actual room to get the entire view of the cage.

Should I just try? Because if it doesn't work I can just get my zip ties back out and put the cage back together, right?

That does mean, I will have to be extra careful with my cords and stuff - which I am willing to do. I am perfectly okay with sweeping however, I just PHYSICALLY can't without moving the entire cage. should I just try? opinions?

Also, a big problem is that my female isn't completely litter trained? I mean for the most part they are doing pretty well, but sometimes my male will "leak" urine - I took him to the vet but there was nothing wrong with him. My female just flat out pees SOMETIMES outside of her litter box

photo 1.JPG

Last edited:
Hmmm... I remember your x-pen set-up. I like it.

What you propose sounds do-able, however... I think it might be wise to wait before doing this. Your girl is still young and unspayed. That means they are NOT bonded. Not until she's spayed will you know whether the bond is true. In the next month or two, it is quite possible that her hormones will change her attitude (or his). You may end up having to separate them. If they already are used to your whole room, that could cause some issues. (Especially since girls are so darn territorial).

You want to reserve some neutral territory for after she is spayed and healed. At that point they will have to be re-introduced in a neutral area. So I think it would be best to hold off on allowing them free roam in your entire room.

Blue eyes took the words right out of my mouth :) I would say making a big decision like this with a young unspayed female might prove to be an exercise in futility once her hormones set in. I'm also from the mindset that you can't consider rabbits truly bonded unless both are fixed. Her hormones very soon could change alot. Plus after spay her litter habits will more than likely improve too. Wait a little bit, have neutral territory plus seperate cages available in case, and wait for decisions like this til after she is spayed and they are bonded.
Good luck! :)

Thank you guys so much, I agree, and I was unsure if they were completely bonded or not since she is not spayed, and now I know! I cleaned my room and put the cage back together and I will hold off on this idea until after she has fully healed from her spay, and generally just think about it some. Thank you :)!

Latest posts

Back