Free range in bedroom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphop666

Reaction score
When I’m home I plan to have my bunny have free range of my bedroom. I plan to bunny proof my room with tubing, pipes and wire panels. Cords will be enclosed in thick plastic tubing and/or pipes. My main concern is my bunny hopping onto my bed and peeing on it. I found that there are waterproof bed comforters but I also read that they lose their waterproof protection after multiple washes.

My dining room table has a vinyl clear sheet cover and I want to put the same kind of clear vinyl over my bed. Has anybody tried this before?

The clear vinyl sheet would be a great idea to try on your bed. It may just keep her off of the bed completely. You'll just have to keep an eye that she doesn't chew on the edges. Maybe keep it short enough so that it doesn't hang too far down on the side of the bed where she would be able to reach the hanging edge when she's on the floor.

I tried out using a vinyl sheet on my bed and it wasn't as effective as I thought it would be since the pee just dripped down the sides instead. The only practical solution that I have found so far is to restrict access to the bed completely and only let my bunny be on it under close supervision. Also, a waterproof bed comforter is defiantly a must-have in case an accident happens!

I tried out using a vinyl sheet on my bed and it wasn't as effective as I thought it would be since the pee just dripped down the sides instead. The only practical solution that I have found so far is to restrict access to the bed completely and only let my bunny be on it under close supervision. Also, a waterproof bed comforter is defiantly a must-have in case an accident happens!
What a peculiar bunny you have! I've not heard of a litter trained rabbit deliberately peeing on a slick/smooth surface like a vinyl sheet--maybe I'm misunderstanding what you and the OP mean by "vinyl sheet." I'm thinking of fairly thick clear plastic as in photo.
1670520157206.png

What a peculiar bunny you have! I've not heard of a litter trained rabbit deliberately peeing on a slick/smooth surface like a vinyl sheet--maybe I'm misunderstanding what you and the OP mean by "vinyl sheet." I'm thinking of fairly thick clear plastic as in photo.
View attachment 63096
I did mean the type of vinyl sheet you're referring to! I even at one point in desperation tried using a tarpaulin sheet and he peed on that as well 😅his litterbox habits are otherwise excellent and he is also neutered. So agreed he might just be a peculiar bunny with slight dominance problems.

My bun is the same—fully potty trained but still likes marking territory on our bed and couch where I sit/lay down. I have been using this waterproof blanket on our bed and have washed it many times, and it’s never failed us yet. It works much better than a plastic sheet would (since it absorbs the liquid), and it actually has a nice enough texture that I don’t hate having it on the bed.

Ameritex Waterproof Dog Bed Cover Pet Blanket for Furniture Bed Couch Sofa Reversible https://a.co/8WXMfsy

My bun is the same—fully potty trained but still likes marking territory on our bed and couch where I sit/lay down. I have been using this waterproof blanket on our bed and have washed it many times, and it’s never failed us yet. It works much better than a plastic sheet would (since it absorbs the liquid), and it actually has a nice enough texture that I don’t hate having it on the bed.

Ameritex Waterproof Dog Bed Cover Pet Blanket for Furniture Bed Couch Sofa Reversible https://a.co/8WXMfsy
Oh! That's a great tip and option!! Probably wouldn't work for me though since I share my bedroom/apartment room with my rabbit so he'd pee on it everyday.

If I where you I would section off the bed until your bunny is litter trained. My bunnies are allowed up on the bed as young or adult but I will have their litter box up on the bed and cover with a water proof cover plus blankets. I don’t want them to get a habit of peeing on soft surfaces. At least when not hormonal my beds and couches have been safe from all buns after they have been litter trained. Now I don’t need to cover my beds or couch but during training it’s good to do that and section off the areas you don’t want them to relieve themself on. While letting them be on that space during supervision.

If I where you I would section off the bed until your bunny is litter trained. My bunnies are allowed up on the bed as young or adult but I will have their litter box up on the bed and cover with a water proof cover plus blankets. I don’t want them to get a habit of peeing on soft surfaces. At least when not hormonal my beds and couches have been safe from all buns after they have been litter trained. Now I don’t need to cover my beds or couch but during training it’s good to do that and section off the areas you don’t want them to relieve themself on. While letting them be on that space during supervision.
He has been litter trained for over two years now, but I'll definitely try out your method . Currently I'm just using a plastic board to restrict access from the bed and it's working great except when we have to travel.

He has been litter trained for over two years now, but I'll definitely try out your method . Currently I'm just using a plastic board to restrict access from the bed and it's working great except when we have to travel.
Bunnies prefer to go where it doesn’t smell like them or there is still a scent. So placing a litter box when being away on the are will often help. Because then they have a spot where it smells like a toilet and have their scent.

They just love to mark the bed and make it smell like their own territory. Now my buns are so well trained they even go on the empty litter box in the wardrobe when they can’t get too their litter box.

Some great advice and info already given, good job community 👍😊

My experience with buns peeing where they shouldn't be (Couch, bed, areas of carpet etc) I feel it is small enough of a spot that if you're on top of it, it's easily cleaned up.

When litterbox training, I'd sop up the "accident" with a couple of squares of tp. And put this into the corner of their litterbox. (It trains them that their smell and pee belongs in the litter box only)
Then I'd take a little bowl of vinegar and a dry cloth, dip cloth in vinegar and dap the spot, getting it good and soaked. Then I use another dry spot of the cloth and dap it dry.
Then use yet another corner of the dry cloth and dip it in water this time, and dapping the spot with water now untill it is dry.

Now, granted my bedroom has always been "off limits" for buns, because I have insomnia so I can't have them jumping up onto the bed while I'm sleeping where it wakes me in startle at the change of action on my bed.

So I guess it will all depend on what your bun bun want to try doing 🤷‍♀️ and go from there

Latest posts

Back