Four Vet Visits-Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltflower

Reaction score
Stasis, to the vet three times for fluids, syringing purified water, eats well but only pooping sludge and cecal. Finally appears to be drinking water on his own. Has been on cisapride for the past week. The vet says to get him eating dandelion greens and kale. Is cilantro bad for diarrhea? The vet is very rabbit savvy and I trust him. I got the kale but I'm afraid of it. Is it gassy or cabbagey?

Do not feed any new veggies that he has never had before or hasn't had in a while, this can make diarrhea worse. Is he eating pellets on his own? You need to push hay more than veggies. If you can get it, I would give him Critical Care as directed on the package, if not soak pellets in water and syringe feed. Instead of just water, you should do Pedialyte plain unflavored. This will help with keeping him hydrated, you could also soak the pellets in the Pedialyte so you only have to syringe feed the one thing. But if he is eating fine then just do the Pedialyte.

I will soak pellets in purified water and try. He's been licking Criticare from a spoon. Waiting for the vet to call back about the diarrhea. No new greens. Thank you so much.

He won't drink water no matter what. Now I'm doing fluids every day myself. Eats greens and hay. I'm afraid. The vet keeps saying that sometimes recovery from stasis takes time.

Well at least he is getting some water from the greens, just spray water onto the veggies when you give it to him so he gets plenty. If he is eating the greens with the water sprayed on them and with the water that's already in them you shouldn't be needing to syringe feed fluids to him anymore he should be getting plenty.
And it does take time, he is eating on his own, hay is the most important thing and he is getting water from veggies.

I'm not syringing fluids now. I'm doing subcutaneous fluids under the skin with a needle. I run his greens underwater before giving them to him. Tomorrow he's being anesthetized to get a blood sample. I'm so nervous.

I just don't understand why he won't drink from his water bowl. Is eating hay but not very much.

I just don't understand why he won't drink from his water bowl. Is eating hay but not very much.

Maybe he has too much discomfort to drink. It’s good you are giving fluids under the skin. Dandelion leaves are good for rabbits. I would give it in small amounts. I’m not sure about the kale your vet prescribed. I think it would cause gas. Maybe the vet prescribed it for fiber. It’s good your giving critical care to your bunny. Try giving your bunny baby gas drops too( the kind without the dye/food coloring). This may help their discomfort to lessen. It takes time to fully recover. Continue to monitor your bunny. Give them lots of love. Continue to encourage them to eat hay and move around.

The diarrhea could be them getting the bad stuff out of their GI track. As long as it’s not straight water poop it should correct it’s self in a few days. My bunny got saucy pooes when she had GI stasis and was recovering. The vet gave her fluids under the skin too. I had to wash her up a bit since the soft globes of poop were everywhere for a few days but then she returned to normal pooping. And began drinking on her own too.

I hope your bunny recovers! Keep me updated :)

I wish to thank everyone for your kindness and support. My boy passed away this morning. I am devastated. I will bring his sweet ashes home in a few days. He will always have a place in my heart and my family. He is family and always will be. I will bring him home in a few days but just in another way. I won't be returning to the forum and will be logging out permanently. Thank you all. Goodbye.

I am sorry for the loss of your boy, I know how devastating it can be as I lost my Bunbun 2 1/2 weeks ago from the same complications, I go through so many emotions. Please know that he will always be there with you and you did the best that you could for him. Please take care and I hope one day you will come back to the forum.

He is binkying away from up above...

Attachments

• 3E77C353-0750-436D-A65D-CA11888B8961.jpeg
    3E77C353-0750-436D-A65D-CA11888B8961.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 12
I am sorry for the loss of your boy, I know how devastating it can be as I lost my Bunbun 2 1/2 weeks ago from the same complications, I go through so many emotions. Please know that he will always be there with you and you did the best that you could for him. Please take care and I hope one day you will come back to the forum.

He is binkying away from up above...
I'm literally cried when I read this forum. When my bunny passed away in November and I was absolutely devastated. I know that you said you were logging out but I just want you to know that you did everything you could and I can tell you loved your bunny so much and he loved you. He is definitely binkying from bunny heaven and wants you to be happy. Eventually, the pain fades away to happy memories of love. The Rainbow Bridge Poem really helped me and I hope it helps you.

Thank you everyone. Half of the agony is not knowing what killed him. I just don't understand this. How could he get stasis out of nowhere when he lived in perfect conditions of hay and purified water and greens and everything else? And what I am agonizing over the most is did I delay his progress with medicines and trips to the vet? The weird thing is that he pooped a few hours before he died. The very poop we were all hoping for. I just don't understand this.

I don't remember if I have asked all of you this question but here it is. Have you ever witnessed a rabbit rallying and you thought he was going to make it but he died?

Bunnies have very weak stomachs and get injured easily. You did everything you could to save him. The important thing is that he lived a happy and fulfilling life. The same thing happened to me. I really thought that my bunny was going to make it because he seemed to be doing better, and then he didn't.

Thank you. He was prone to urine scald had to get butt baths often. And that scared me because I know that a wet rabbit can die. I can't help but wonder if the urine scald must be back and he didn't feel well and went into stasis because of that? I need everybody's input please.

I don't remember if I have asked all of you this question but here it is. Have you ever witnessed a rabbit rallying and you thought he was going to make it but he died?

I have seen this with my cat. When I saw this I asked the vet and she said this can happen to animals- that it looks like they’re about to get better but then they don’t. I forget what she called it but she said it’s normal. I’m sorry for your loss.

Maybe not with bunnies, but my Rottweiler mix unfortunately lost a very long battle with arthritis and other health problems less than a month ago. Ginger would get better for a month or so, then regress even worse than she had been. It was very heartbreaking. So it can happen to any animal and I'm sure rabbits are no exception. I'm incredibly sorry that you had to go through such a tough experience.

Latest posts

Back