Found This Bald Spot On Foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troller

Reaction score
I was giving my Conan the once over and saw this one foot had this bald spot. Is that the start or finish of a sore hock?

I would most likley say the start and I would start treating it soon or else it will almost be impossible to fix and your rabbit could start being it pain. I use a skin and sound cleaner/healer spray for my rabbits. I honestly don't know how much it helps but I like to believe it does.

At the least put some ointment or slave (Neosporin, Bag Balm or similar) on it while you decide if it's the start or finish of sore hocks and, be sure the bunny has a place that is not on rough wood or wire to rest - if it's the start of sore hocks, that will help stop it before it gets worse, if it's the end, that will help it finish healing faster. Either way you and the bunny win for your efforts.

Aw poor bun! I am sorry I don't know much but s/he is sure a lucky baby for having such an attentive and caring owner! I am sure you will help her/him heal it up in no time! :)

And here's a few more pics. I spoke to Conan's original breeder and she says it might be he's compensating since me and the wife don't do a good enough job clipping his nails and so the bald spot developed.

Photo Feb 10, 9 35 31 AM.jpg

Photo Feb 10, 9 35 42 AM.jpg

Photo Feb 10, 9 35 55 AM.jpg

Looks like it may just be a callous but still some bag balm or neosporin won't hurt and, it will stave off any infection if it is the start of sore hocks. I'd put either on it for 3 days and see what it does. (and post pics after that too.)

One thing though, he's always had a nail that's off, it goes sideways and it's on that same foot. Could that be an issue as well.Yeah the bag balm is what the breeder said as well, though it's a search item in my neck of the woods...

Call here, see if they have it. My feed dealer says they carry the same brand he does so there is a good chance they have it. The crooked nail might be form an old injury to that nail or toe when the rabbit was a kit. As long as it isn't a problem to keep trimmed, I wouldn't worry much over that.

Animal Feeds Inc
<li class="mod" style="clear:none">

Address: 3255 Park Ave, Bronx, NY 10451
Phone:(718) 293-7750

I finally found some bag balm and plan to try to apply it tonight. Worse case I fail and wait for my wife to help tomorrow.

Is there any crusting or flaking skin? If it is just calloused and not red and irritated skin, I would just leave it. Putting an ointment on it will just soften the skin and make it prone to then getting red and irritated.

A bald spot on the front foot is a little less common than with the hind feet. That says to me that he's either fur chewing, or he is carrying his weight forward onto his front foot for some reason. Maybe has something to do with long nails, but that usually involves them resting their weight back on their hind legs and hocks(which is why long nails can contribute to sore hocks. But with it being the front foot, that doesn't make sense for the nails to be the cause. Maybe something he is jumping up on frequently is causing frequent rubbing on that particular spot? Spine or joint problems in the hind end, may also cause a rabbit to rock it's weight forward more onto it's front paws and cause more pressure to be on the front feet, causing excess rubbing. So this would need a vet visit if you think it may be this and can't find another cause.

If you find it's getting sore, baby socks will help(but may not stay on long) or it could be vetwrapped. But anytime vet wrap is used, it needs to be used cautiously and correctly. If wrapped too tightly, it can cut off circulation and cause serious problems.

I have a bun with a wonky nail too. Don't know why. It may have already been like that when I got him. Long nails could possibly contribute to it.

Last edited:
Well I went and put some bag balm on it, boy did Conan put up a fight. Not too much. Though it was pink, not flaky, not warm or hot to the touch. I'll keep an eye on it, and yeah I got to trim his nails again but I gave them a once over look tonight and I could swear that they're pretty close to the quick already but we'll see.

Its just odd because there are no signs of discomfort and the area isn't irritated or hot. For extra measure though I trimmed his nails sooner and applied the balm for about 3 days. I got to confess I've been a little remiss checking it since I've recently had a family situation taking up my time and thoughts but seeing this reminds me I got to check up on my buck in the morning.

Latest posts

Back