found my Bugs dead this morning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigs4

Reaction score
She had just been spayed monday. sh eis 2 years old. had 3 nipples removed had a tumor on one.. she has not ate anything since surgery. a few bites here and there. my daughter is a vet tech. she came over last night and di her vitals. they were all good. we forced fed some yoguert/water gave her her baytril.

Went to check on her this morning.she was on her side.She is overweight but maybe the stress was too much........... so sad:(

I'm so sorry :(. Rest assured you did what you could and Bugs is living a better life now. I hope you can find peace knowing that she knew how much you loved her.:rainbow::angelandbunny::cry4::rip::bunnyangel2:

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Binky free over at the Rainbow Bridge, Bugs :rainbow:.

Are you considering having a necropsy done to determine what she passed away from? And have you contacted your vet to see what he/she had to say about the situation? Perhaps they can shed some light as to what happened with Bugs.

Again, I'm so sorry :angel:.

Im so so sorry you lost your little one.

Had she pooped since her surgery? When I take a bunny in for a spay, I always make sure they have eaten at least something with fiber in it (pellets, hay canned pumpkin or some greens) within 24-36 hours. Anything beyond that without eating can be very dangerous, especially if they arent pooping, and I usually force feed them a little pellet slurry and liquids to get them pooping. As others mentioned, it could have just been something unforseeable though.

Again, Im so very sorry. I can see from the picture in your avatar that she was a very beautiful girl.

Haley

My daughter had her spayed at the vet she worked at she knew for her to eat before surgery. she eats like a pig usually.. loves Iames dog biscuits for a snack, parsley, veggies, pellets hay, banana. i tired everything after surgery she only ate one bite of banana and a few leaves from our apple tree. last night the veins in her ears were gone which was odd usually they are pink. but her gums were pink temp normal, heart rate normal, so who knows what happend........ my daughter wanted me to sleep with bugs good thinkg i didnt i would have freaked out......

oh she did poop normal a tiny bit.. but little urine.

That is terrible. I am so sorry for your sudden loss.

May you rest in peace Bugs:bunnyangel2:

I am so sorry for your loss. :tears2: :pray: :hug2:

Binky onward, Bugs. :pink iris::rainbow:

Jenk

So sorry Bugs passed away after the spay. Maybe it was the stress, or the pain from the surgery or a combination of bothto cause her not to eat.
Did she get some pain medicine after the spay?

Binkie free Bugs.

Rainbows :pink iris:

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Did she get some pain medicine after the spay?
I meant (and forgot) to ask the same question. When my two bunnies were spayed, one started eating again within a few hours of returning home. My other (normally tougher girl) reacted more strongly to the pain and, thus, was put on pain medication for several extra days (per the vet's suggestion). The medication really helped to dull her discomfort, which encouraged her appetite to return.

Bugs was given 4 vials of morphine to go home with. she used all that up.it was twice a day.. the baytril was pill form i had a tremendous time getting her to take that... she was not herself ever this week as she loves her bananas and apple tree leaves esp. her incision looked very good. her temp stayed normal.. Kristen- my daughter who works at the vet was here last night checking on her she said i needed to be more aggessive feeding her but now we wonder if last night us both trying to feed her got her stressed........

my son and i just buried her in my yard at the top of a hill. putting all her toys and cages away.. she has 2 outside cages and a fixed up laundry room in the basement when its too hot... we live in missouri and its been so muggy off and on..thanks a million.:biggrin2:

pigs4 wrote:
Bugs was given 4 vials of morphine to go home with.
I didn't realize that bunnies take morphine for pain. My girls tookMetacam after their spay surgeries. That medication and Banamine are the only two pain-relievers for buns of which I'm familiar.

I just looked up morphine and it is listed on medirabbit safe drugs for rabbits (Sc and IM) ,however I have never heard of this drug being used for a routine spay

very sad that she is gone :angel:

Latest posts

Back