found her sitting very still...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holland

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to describe what I found. hopefully I won't make anyone sick or upset.

I went out to check bunnies the day before yesterday and our 31/2 monthold doe was just sitting there not coming over to see me likeshe usually does. So I went to get her out of her cage and that is whenI found the problem. Nasty dirty bottom, wasn't like that the daybefore.

So I cleaned her, trimmed hair and she is still very red. What should Ido. We took away her feed and just put in hay and her water.

What would cause this. I haven't changed anything.

I think it's difficult to gross us out on this board -- members have had to deal with some pretty "yucky" stuff.

I'd put the doe on just hay for a couple days and cut way back on thepellets. She may have come down with a viral infection due tothe changes in weather.

Keep her butt clean (daily). Dirty bottoms can lead to flystrike, a potentially fatal problem.

If she continues to have poopy issues, let us know so further help can be offered.

Pam

I was just so shocked when I found her. Icouldn't believe the mess. I had to use baby wipes to pull stuff off,then I had to cut the rest off.

I've read alot about flystrike, that's what I was really worried about.We have started to get a few flies. I read somewhere to sprinkle lyme?under the cages. But was unsure of effects on the rabbits.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

HelloHolland,

You can put a bit of vanilla in her water and that is said to keep theflies away. The surefire way to keep them out is mosquitonetting, but not sure you want to go that route. As Pamnocksaid though, flystrike is fatal and very hard to treat.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

holland wrote:
Iwas just so shocked when I found her. I couldn't believe the mess. Ihad to use baby wipes to pull stuff off, then I had to cut the restoff.

You can also run her butt under warm water in a utility tub or swooshher butt around in a plastic container. Use dishsoap to washand rinse completely. This is a quick and easy way to cleanrather than to try to wipe it off. You can also applyVaseline to protect the genitals from irritation.

Pam

Thanks so much. You would be surprised how hardit is to get good holland info. where I live. People are so secretive.It'slike there afraid you're gonna put them out ofbusinessor something.

That's what we're here for, Holland. Hopefully we can help you and yours.

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn so much. That is so nice of you.So don't be surprised if I start to go crazy with questions. I do a lotof reading and searching on the web but it's just really nice to getrabbit info from people that are there for you.

Latest posts

Back