Found a rabbit. Could really use help identifying.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crebbles

Reaction score
I was talking to a neighbor at the entrance of my garage with the overhead door open when a rabbit came walking right between us and into the back of the garage. I was a little stunned about how casually he walked past us that i didn't react right away. Anyways he made himself at home in a cupboard in the far back. He didn't seem to be very scared of me approaching him and I picked him up by the scruff of the neck and moved him to the backyard. He didn't seem to mind being handled and now I am not sure if he is possibly someones pet. Figured someone in this forum might be able to know just by looking. He is still just hanging out in a little house I made him. Not sure what to do about it, if anything at all. We live in Western New York. Any bunny expert who can ID this little fellow would be awesome. Mostly if he's wild/domestic. Thanks!bunny.jpg

Well, I couldn't tell if this is a cottontail or a domestic (european) rabbit for sure, but it looks somewhat off to what I'm used to over here.
There are stories and encounters when wild animals behaved like that, I once relocated a young wild buck that showed way too much interest in my girls (and knocked one up) that pretty much rationalized that I'm not a danger.

Anyway,I wouldn't lift rabbits by their scruff. It does cause haematoma, at least in domestic rabbits. Unlike cats or dogs rabbits do not carry kits around, and their neck isn't designed for that. Scruffing them to pin them down and to get a propper hold is fine though, that does help a lot handling them.

In your situatiuon I would contact the next wildlife rehab institution. If it is a wild, local rabbit it's old enough to live on it's own. If it's a domestic, good catch.

It looks like a domestic rabbit breed to me, and is likely an escaped or dumped pet rabbit. But even if it was a wild rabbit, the fact that it's hanging around people and not scared, would indicate there's something wrong with it and needs to be checked out by a vet.

You can try looking at pet finder or local lost pet groups to see if any one has lost their rabbit. Otherwise I would suggest taking it to your local shelter, or a rabbit rescue if you have one and are able to take it there. If possible, I would suggest bringing it in for the night, because of the cold and predators. It will need a dish of water, and if you have hay give a bunch of that for it to eat until you can get it to the shelter.

I was talking to a neighbor at the entrance of my garage with the overhead door open when a rabbit came walking right between us and into the back of the garage. I was a little stunned about how casually he walked past us that i didn't react right away. Anyways he made himself at home in a cupboard in the far back. He didn't seem to be very scared of me approaching him and I picked him up by the scruff of the neck and moved him to the backyard. He didn't seem to mind being handled and now I am not sure if he is possibly someones pet. Figured someone in this forum might be able to know just by looking. He is still just hanging out in a little house I made him. Not sure what to do about it, if anything at all. We live in Western New York. Any bunny expert who can ID this little fellow would be awesome. Mostly if he's wild/domestic. Thanks!View attachment 62941
It looks like a super cute (!) domestic rabbit to me! I can't imagine any wild rabbit allowing you to handle it that way. Quite adorable.

Latest posts

Back