Found A Beautiful Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiki

Reaction score
Hi,

Need some help. On Dec. 29th I unexpectedly lost mymother. A few days later my husband pulled into the drivewayand spotted a white ball (or he thought it was). When he gotcloser, he saw that it was a cold, rained on wet whiterabbit. When I saw it, I immediatley took it inside and letit warm and dry. It was the most beautiful, soft WHITE withblack I had ever seen on anything. I still have the rabbittoday. It pretty much runs the house and uses a litter box inthe garage (does let droppings go when he runs around from time totime) It is very affectionate and loves to chase our cat toplay.

I do not know anything about caring for a rabbit! Who can shed some light on WHAT DO I DO NOW?

There is a topic on top of page "A Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care" which is very useful.
But basically, you need good quality pellets, timothy hay, water forthe bunny available all the time. Make sure your house is bunny-proved,since bunnies like to chew on wires, eat carpet.
A bunny needs some toys like toilet paper rolls.
His nails needs to be trimmed, but you can take him to pet shop to get them to do it.

if you can post a picture, the experienced forum breeders will probably be able to tell you what kind he is.

I'm sorry about your mother.

What kind of housing do you have for your rabbit? I take it he's mainlyan indoor bunny? If so, be sure to bunny-proof everything, especiallywires, as rabbits chew like mad. I give my rabbits paper towel rolltubes, untreated wicker and untreated cardboard to chew on.

How is he getting on with you? Does he like to be pet at all? Foodtreats can go a long way with gaining trust, just don't give too manyor else you'll have a chunkabun on your hands. Some favorites areraisins, apples and bananas, but make sure you give sparingly. Rabbitshave a major sweet tooth.

What kind of food are you feeding him? Like Anna suggested, Timothy hayis vital to a rabbit. If they don't eat enough of that, they may end upwith a blockage. Also, a regular supply of green veggies, such asbroccoli is good. Stay away from iceburg lettuce, as it's mostly waterand will give the rabbit runny stools. I give mine Romaine (which iswhat I prefer anyway).

Welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see pictures. :)

tiki, I think you are saying you will be keepingthis bunny? That's great! They are awesome and such cutepets! You probably already know this :)

I'm so happy he's pretty much littertrained! That's a big step! So,with love, hay and pellets..... some water and a few toys you'reset!

What have you named this sweet suprise? Is his hair short?and his ears up or down? Really soft hair (like velvet)usually is a rex or mini-rex. (My bunny in my avatar is amini-rex )

Welcome to the forum ...... just yell if you need any help you can'tfind the answer to. We are all very happy to assist when wecan. :)

You Guys are great!

I heard if a rabbit comes into your life suddenly, it is for a specialreason. Somehow, I am beginning to believe that.

To answer some of your questions...the rabbit is very soft, very whitewith long floppy ears. He must have been someone's pet thatjust got out (or someone let it out intentionally) He is veryenergenic, but do not know how to tell the sex. Seems to beyoung, but I cannot tell that for sure either. Is veryaffectionate. Loves to follow you everywhere you go and likesto be snuggled and carried around. Has not chewed on anythingyet...likes to run in and out of the broom bristles and always knocksis over. Poops alot, but is very good in thelitterbox. Likes to chase the cat and the cat doesn'tmind. Gee...did I luck out here or what?

I named him/her COTTON. Seemed very fitting...just wish I knew age and sex.

Do they live long? Understandably, I am not good with deathright now or anytime soon. If I get achance, I will post a picture.

Should I contact anyone to see if someone is looking for thispet? Have not seen or heard of anyone in neighborhood thatlost one. Maybe someone just didn't want it anmore and let itfree. I was afraid it would die outside.

Thank all of you for being so kind as to help me out here. Myname is Judy andI live in Daytona Beach, Florida.

What an amazing story...sad, yet happy.I think it is just great. Sorry, I lost my dad a few yearsago and stories like that just touch my heart.

There are some great web sites. I lovehttp://www.veterinarypartner.comfor info on all kinds of animals.

http://www.spacerad.com/lara/rabbit.html has a great list of approved foods.

I would take the bunny to a rabbit knowledgeable vet in your area and find out how old and the sex.

Welcome to the forum!!

Jen

Sexing rabbits is really easy! (andvets don't always do it the best, at least onbabies!) Well, all you have to do is turn him/herover, and look around the genital area for the bells... Or,if it is under 6 months they may not be evident yet. Youmight want to get someone to hold the bunny for you, just to make iteasier. Cradle its rump with your palm, and take its tailbetween your middle and index fingers. then pull his tail out and pushdown with your thumb above the genital area, thus stretching thearea. In an adult rabbit, it is really evident whether it isa buck or doe!

Good luck with cotton!

bumperbunny12 wrote:
Sexing rabbits is really easy! (and vets don't always do it thebest, at least on babies!) Well, all you have to do is turn him/herover, and look around the genital area for the bells... Or, if it isunder 6 months they may not be evident yet. You might want to getsomeone to hold the bunny for you, just to make it easier. Cradle itsrump with your palm, and take its tail between your middle and indexfingers. then pull his tail out and push down with your thumb above thegenital area, thus stretching the area. In an adult rabbit, it isreally evident whether it is a buck or doe!

Good luck with cotton!

LOL, when the vet showed us our bunny's private area, it was without a doubt evident that he was a boy.

Tiki

I love your story.I am very pleased to hear about cottonswonderful living arrangements. With the wires in the house Iwould try to tuck them behind things and what not. Wires looklike vines to rabbits. I would suggest picking up a couplebooks( I have found lots of fun and enjoyable information from these)

1) House Rabbit Handbook/How to live with an urban rabbit by Marinell Harriman

2)The simple guide to Rabbits/ by Bobbye Land

3)why does my Rabbit...?/ by Anne Mcbride

4)The essential Rabbit/ Consulting editor Betsy Sikora siino

Now these are all great, but if your going to get two( and not allfour, haha) My favorite were # 1 and # 2. Wellactual I think #3 is wonderful as well. #4 Is quite literally theessential Rabbit book it has information that is covered by 1-3 but itreally does not go very deep into the subject matter. #2 and#3 both have lists of plants that are poisons and non so that isgreat. #1 Just is probably a real eye opener to the newindoor rabbit owner or to the skeptics( that don't think of rabbits asindoor animals).

If I was you I would keep this rabbit, it sounds like the two of youmake a great match. Secondary I know if I lost my baby (Faye)I would personally paper in afive mile radius to findher. The very day I lost her I would print out 600 copies ofher disciption and go to all the homes in the surroundingareas. So my point being most rabbit owners care for therelittle one so much (as we all do on this site) that you would have seemsomething ( perhaps a sign when leaving the neighborhood, a handout inyour mail box, or a visit at your door, and that concludes me to thinkthat you have a new best Friend to help you around the house.

Now all rabbits need a place for leisure, a place to get away( perhapsthree places is even better). Now my bun have under the bed(which I vacuum every day and every other day is fine to)and alittle house that is called a "hide away".She loves to hangout and when she wants to play she comes right out(most of the evening, and early morn). Let me add that my bed has a sheet thatgoes all the way to the floor on all sides , so she as a cave for themost part (hahaha). Rabbits are great with there imagination,such as with towels, paper towels, cereal boxes, but if you look into (especially ) book selection #1 HRHB you well see where I get my ideas (but you can experiment with many ideas of your own).

Rabbits are social creators that love your company and with saying thateven though their naturally active a twilight ( the little bun lovesyou so much) they will adjust there schedule to when you are awake andat home the most( Isn't that cute!!). They love to listen toyou talk on the phone( just a formulized sound) and its makes them fallright asleep or a comfortable relaxing stretch. I would getsome stuffed animals forher to play with when your not homeand Iwould make sure the bun and cat are good friends beforehaving them together along(not that you are). Yetcats and rabbits can make it work. Igood as far aswhen I leave putting on the Simpson's DVD so she has something tolisten to ( many people do such things) on low volume ofcourse.

I would really encourage you get at least two of the books I suggested,and I think you'll find out this forum is your new best link toinformation thats not 100% talked about in those books. Hereyou can get many ideas that have the same ideal's and alway come to aeducated discussion. We respond very quickly aswell. and always feel free to send a personal message toanyone ( especially Carolyn the administrator) because thatswhy the forum works so well ( people want to giveback the waypeople have given to us). Whatever I have not covered (whichis a lot) look to the books, the people, and "The Cheat Sheet forRabbits".

You sound very happy with your new friend, stay in contact( this forumis daily for me), andI would love to here how you feel abouttodays replies.

Your New Friend

Peter ( & Faye)

P.S welcome

dr_peter_kraz wrote:
Rabbits are social creators that love your company and with saying thateven though their naturally active a twilight ( the little bun lovesyou so much) they will adjust there schedule to when you are awake andat home the most( Isn't that cute!!).
Our bunny does not seem to do that. He is still most active at night.

Thank you...all of you. And it's niceto meeteveryone.You have really helped me and Iwill do plenty of reading on Cotton.

Now...if I could just figure out why this adorable little creature cameinto my life at such a horrible time for me.I thinkI will chalk it up to a gift from Mom!

Will stop by again soon.

Judy & Cotton

I think that's exactly what has happened. You needed something to get you through a rough time and here he/she is!

We had the same thing happen when my grandmother passed. Our dog wasVERY unexpected, but a week after she was gone there he was... and youknow if it wasn't for him I don't know how I would have got though itall...

Good luck with Cotton,

and WELCOME!:)

Aww Cotton sounds precious! Lopped ears wouldn'tbe a rex but could maybe be a rex mix? that would be a good questionfor pamnock (she's really good at the genetics stuff among everythingelse!)

If your rabbit is a male and hasn't been neutered, it's easy to see ifit's a boy. His testicles will be visible or you can at leastfeel them under his fur (some don't have fur there) They aren't towardsthe bottom like rats or mice but more up under the bunny.

Whatever the reason that Cotton has come to you, consider yourself veryblessed! I have always had pets and many types of pets, buthaving Bo has been a whole new world :) I love him to piecesand he's very entertaining. Of course, I am one of those whocan just watch him sleeping and think it's just adorable! :p

Most likely Cotton has either escaped a hutch or he has beendumped. Check with a vet or the Humane Society..... that'sthe best you could do.

OH YES: Eventhough he's not chewing, make sure any cords areout of his reach. Phone lines and electrical cords make anoise that humans can't hear but the bunnies do and they are attractedto that noise and will bite at it. It can be deadly to them :(

Bo has even tried to eat my cellphone before!

dr_peter_kraz wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

Now that is just to funny. What a crazy bunny huh, whats bo thinking?

You are all mistaken, he probably wanted to call his bunny friends andtried to dial the number with his teeth and you thought he was going toeat it.

AnnaS wrote:
dr_peter_kraz wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

Now that is just to funny. What a crazy bunny huh, whats bo thinking?

You are all mistaken, he probably wanted to call his bunny friends andtried to dial the number with his teeth and you thought he was going toeat it.
:shock:Now I know why my bill's been so high!!!!!!

:p

Latest posts

Back