Fostering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fosterers are so needed. A rescue friend just got clobbered wirh requests to take in 27 rabbits that people no longer want. (People acquire rabbits and are uneducated about their hormonal behaviors and personalitites.)

On top of that, she's trying to catch Strays that people dump. Where did the uncaring people get their rabbits?

Any type of large or small rabbit can embrace your heart and fill your life with love. On Facebook a meaningful discusssion occurred wrt feelings and attitude for lagormorphs and sentient beings including cottontails. As a retired cottontail rehabber, the conversation brightened my day

-- Adding a care emoticon. -- Forever homes with much-loved buns and responsible caregivers make life better. My RIP tortoise-shell dutch and harlequin soulmate are missed so very much. Your pics made me smile @HalaBuns .

I'm in 'n' out of here and hopped up to read your post on April 13. Occupying your heart is a good thing! Forever love and comfort hugs.
Honestly, the number of bunnies found here on a daily basis is astonishing sometimes. We have a lovely local Facebook group and every now and then someone will pop up, expressing a wish to adopt a bunny, having done zero research. We then highlight the negatives of bunny ownership, not to put them off, but to just make sure they have considered everything first, otherwise that bunny will most likely end up on the street, or if it’s lucky, in the care of one of us fosters. Quite often, that puts the idea out of their heads, which is not a bad thing. Bunny ownership is not all roses and cuteness.

You are right, the biggest problem is people not educating themselves before making their choices. We live in a really transient country too, and people don’t think about how expensive it is, or if it is even possible, to relocate their bunnies back to their home country when they go. Even I am guilty of this. Had I known the cost, I may not have adopted. But now I have, so I make sure I am financially prepared, but sadly it means I cannot commit to any more buns. Lots of people don’t do that though and “set them free” when they leave, or have to rehome their family member because they cannot take them with them 😔

We don’t have any shelters or rescues here, so fostering is the only option for the lucky rescued ones. I have joined a really supportive group of likeminded bunny foster parents, so I’m making new friends alongside doing something that I find hugely rewarding.

I’m looking forward to caring for my next little one and will no doubt get super attached to him too ☺️ I can deal with a bit of heartache every now and then, if it means one of these fluffies can have a lifetime of happiness 💕

Well-said @HalaBuns . The years I volunteered at a shelter opened my eyes regarding how many (can I use the word gullible, or impulse-purchase) humans get a "cute" baby rabbit and later find out they involve maintenance care and guess what, the rabbit costs money! But they aren't devoted to lifelong care, so out they go -- No wonder everybody pitches their "baby" photos so people get sucked into thinking he or she will always stay cute and _not_ require an ounce of work, or DVM visits, etc. Or cute lil' male or female will create trouble. They are not inanimate, stuffed toys.

Gratefully you connected with your local Facebook group with bun parents' dedicated to care and education. I applaud your energy and determination to educate and advise.

At the shelter and in my current network of rescue friends, strays are seen all the time. Yes, exactly like my rescue acquaintance above stated. Lifelong and devoted humans will invest the time to provide a forever home, and do as much as possible not to engage in "pass-the-bunny" or "get rid of". -- Skimming Craigslist ads in our area you can see hundreds of the unwanted sale object companions. Commodity quantities, who often end up abandoned when hormones activate.

Our 2nd bun joined our first shelter-adopted when the young person didn't like the fact he was a boy, not a girl. The 4H youngster wanted two girl baby bunnies. Likely got duped into gender ID by seller who may have been clueless or didn't care. She eventually got two more rabbits but lost interest as years wore on,, and both went to the local shelter.

Thank you for joining the supportive rescue group of bun parents. You and I are similar in numerous ways, thinking of other vulnerable beings or pets, and not looking to pad our wallet or get sucked into the "cute syndrome."

My inbox gets filled with can't-keep, have to find a different home. Guess what, in most cases, the innocent pet isn't spayed or neutered either. Thank you for joining the supportive network so you can educate.
--------------------------------
@HalaBuns , I thought of you yesterday when I saw a line in Entertainment Weekly magazine that I hurriedly flipped through. Rabbits are not objects to us. Rather sentient companions and part of our family. They have emotions, can suffer, feel pain and loneliness, express happiness and gratitude, get sick, need medical care.... My praises to you for bestowing love to those in need of a kind human's actions. Kindly keep me posted on the supportive bun parent group if you can.

"What is grief, if not love perservering." - Paul Bettany.

@HalaBuns - have you received more updates?
Sorry for the late reply! I’m away with friends so I’ve not been on the forum much.

I still receive updates every couple of days and the boys are still doing brilliantly from the sounds of things. They are still sorting out the hierarchy, but Daisy is completely besotted with Noah 🥰. They cuddle a lot and they’re always up to mischief and have managed to escape their pen a couple of times, the little monkeys.

They bring so much joy to their new family every day 😃. They are the cutest little duo

9421A5D4-3686-4654-A0D1-0B85CD320EB5.jpeg958BE07B-80E9-43F9-940E-BD11C5E35F3D.jpeg

Introducing my latest addition... Mildred, or Millie

BD5B79D1-52C6-412D-B968-A267878E15A9.jpegB56B89FD-EBEB-4F41-801F-979240A9928C.jpeg95E10632-6D2E-4888-8CE4-35FE5D918BB9.jpegBFB0A9C8-B9BC-4783-8CD3-CBE1E0BB80A9.jpeg

I picked up Millie on Thursday afternoon, from a golf course where she had been hanging out for a couple of months apparently. She had become quite the celebrity, demanding head rubs from the players and having selfies with security 💁🏻‍♀️.

Unfortunately it’s just getting too hot for her to be out now (pushing 40c) so I had to take her away from her lovely luxury outdoor environment to the confines of my spare room / bathroom. Lots of cats roaming around that area too (although she’s a sturdy girl, I reckon she could hold her own!).

She seems well fed and in good condition generally. She was none too happy when I got her home, lots of stamping, particularly when I was falling short on the head-rub front.

She’s a vocal little thing too, always oinking at me and circling me when she’s not getting the attention she requires. Total diva haha. But sooooo cuddly. She could lay next to me for hours if she were being stroked constantly.

We’re off to the vet for a checkup later. She does eat, but very slowly and is totally unenthused by all food (head rubs are the preference instead). I’m not happy with her hay intake either, so want to get her teeth checked.

She is so beautiful! It's a shame the weather is too hot for her now. It sounds like she had a blast at her golf course home!😂 Her personality sounds just like my FG Alice. I hope she settles in quickly and her vet check goes well. You are doing an amazing job with your bunny fostering. It is really inspiring to hear about the things you are doing to help the buns.❤️

I’m not happy with her hay intake either, so want to get her teeth checked.

I go through this struggle every year after a summer of fresh forage and grazing is well over and it get's too hard to find anything green. Takes at least a week for them to consider hay an edible option.

I go through this struggle every year after a summer of fresh forage and grazing is well over and it get's too hard to find anything green. Takes at least a week for them to consider hay an edible option.
True, that happens!

Introducing my latest addition... Mildred, or Millie

View attachment 55371View attachment 55372View attachment 55373View attachment 55374

I picked up Millie on Thursday afternoon, from a golf course where she had been hanging out for a couple of months apparently. She had become quite the celebrity, demanding head rubs from the players and having selfies with security 💁🏻‍♀️.

Unfortunately, it’s just getting too hot for her to be out now (pushing 40c) so I had to take her away from her lovely luxury outdoor environment to the confines of my spare room/bathroom. Lots of cats roaming around that area too (although she’s a sturdy girl, I reckon she could hold her own!).

She seems well-fed and in good condition generally. She was none too happy when I got her home, lots of stamping, particularly when I was falling short on the head-rub front.

She’s a vocal little thing too, always oinking at me and circling me when she’s not getting the attention she requires. Total diva haha. But sooooo cuddly. She could lay next to me for hours if she were being stroked constantly.

We’re off to the vet for a checkup later. She does eat, but very slowly, and is totally unenthused by all food (head rubs are the preference instead). I’m not happy with her hay intake either, so want to get her teeth checked.
She is so cute! ❤ Sounds like she was totally spoiled at her last home, which makes sense because of how adorable she is! I am kinda surprised she wasn't hurt by the cats, but then again my cats are scared of Theo 😂 I hope the vet appointment goes well and she starts eating more hay!

I'm also so glad you are getting to cuddle with her! Didn't you say your other girls don't like cuddles?

Good to know! The vet pretty much said the same thing, as she’s been living on fresh grass for so long

She is so cute! ❤ Sounds like she was totally spoiled at her last home, which makes sense because of how adorable she is! I am kinda surprised she wasn't hurt by the cats, but then again my cats are scared of Theo 😂 I hope the vet appointment goes well and she starts eating more hay!

I'm also so glad you are getting to cuddle with her! Didn't you say your other girls don't like cuddles?
My other girls will tolerate the affection I force on them 🤣 but nowhere near as cuddly as any of my fosters have been frankly, they’re too sassy. I feel like I want an exchange haha. I wouldn’t change them really, they make me smile every day ☺️

So Millie’s vet check went well 🙌🏻

But... shortest foster experience ever haha. My friend messaged yesterday morning to say these two buns had been dumped at the school where he works:

73E649ED-E899-4C42-BC73-DB27228CA03D.jpeg

D194F5A6-45D3-40A2-A6A9-7BC977CDD871.jpeg

One is definitely a boy, and 99% certain the other is female, but she freaked out too much when I tried to check again. No chance that they are spayed or neutered so they need to be separated and my friend doesn’t have the space. So we did a little bunny swap...

853DAC49-592A-4FF7-B491-8006F87CC64E.jpegCA3A001E-EC79-418E-87F7-1FD899BCB6B3.jpeg68CBDED1-1095-4096-9454-719E0A357D82.jpeg

Millie is having a fabulous time at my friend’s and they love her! Fingers crossed that could be a permanent move 🤞🏼

I won’t lie, I was very sad and stressed at the thought of having to keep them like this for probably the next 10-12 weeks as I’m not sure the boy is old enough for the snip yet, but it will be easier once the he is through his neuter I hope. It’s also hard on my buns having an extra 2 in the house, they’re a bit stressed this morning. They seem fairly oblivious when it’s just 1, but too many sounds and smells with 2 ☹

The white one sounds quite snuffly, so we’re off to the vet again on Thursday. Eating, drinking and hopping about fine, but I’m keeping a close eye on her.

Attachments

• 99284EEA-E23D-43CB-A5A0-0BAC760CEFC8.jpeg
    99284EEA-E23D-43CB-A5A0-0BAC760CEFC8.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 5
Well I’m finding this all very hard, but they seem to be having a lovely time! Haha.

Lady (the white one) appears to have a couple of small patches of ringworm. One on her ear and one just under her eye. Obviously just a bit of a nightmare from a cleaning / disinfecting / quarantining perspective and has added a whole new level of admin to caring for them. I’m applying antifungal ointment, coconut oil and bepanthen twice a day until we get to the vet tomorrow. Hoping that should at least get to work in the meantime. I know ideally she should be totally quarantined 😭 but I feel that moving her away from her boy into a spare bathroom would add to her trauma. I’ll see what the vet says tomorrow.

Rufus (the ginger) appears to be totally clear of it which is good. We think perhaps the stress brought it on for Lady 😔

Other than that, their litter habits are totally appalling, so I may have to leave the house today to relieve my anxiety 😂. I have to work all day and by the afternoon had given up trying to keep it tidy.

6BFA0800-90AF-4EC7-8160-046735977D00.jpeg
all pee goes in the boxes though so hooray! 🙌🏻

They are extremely cute though. Lady is completely traumatised and a little aggressive at times, but just wants to be loved. She fell asleep for 20 mins with her front paws and head resting on my legs yesterday.

Rufus is just a complete pain 😂. I let him out for a run around yesterday and he got into all sorts of places I never expected, scaled any barriers I put up and was just a general nuisance haha. Like having a tiny little irritating puppy. Soooo adorable though

BB1EC602-981C-424B-B4DC-24733C328FB8.jpegA8A119A8-1516-4016-BD96-2D6BD6C2B84C.jpeg91B22F2C-D9C7-41D7-B3B4-D3BADCADCEBF.jpeg

I can't get over how cute they are! The picture of Rufus flopping is killing me! ❤
Have patience with their litter habits, they will catch on eventually. That is so awful about ringworm, I know the vet will be able to help though. I really hope you don't have to quarantine Lady.

Latest posts

Back