Fostering to a doe who has been off her litter for 3-4 days...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley411

Reaction score
I just bought a black vm netherland dwarf doe at convention. I had her transported from montana. Anyways she had a litter of five 6/16, the breeder pulled her babies the day they left and fostered to another doe. Now I have a litter ofsix lionhead babies that were born the same day, was wondering if it would be okay to give three to the ND doe. She is very full of milk and is very tender. I feel bad and this is the only solution I can come up with. My only concern is is the milk still okay? Will it make my LH babies sick?

Oh and the ND is a proven mother and does fantastic, has apparently fostered quite a few babies in her time....

Please respond asap. I want to get this doe some relief asap.

Do you want her milk to dry up or you just want to foster the babies.

You can use mint to dry the Nd's milk up.

Personally, I would not foster your LH's to her. She was transported, and could have picked up something.It's the same situation with bringing nursing does to shows. Better safe than sorry. If you fell comfortable , you can foster the babes off.

If she feels full and her breast areas are hot to the touch you would do well to foster a baby or 2 to her to keep her from getting mastitis. Make sure you are feeding enough so she will keep producing for the babies, then cut her feed down so she stops producing when you are ready to wean (though I think you know that part)

when you wean them, its easiest to take one at a time from her and do it slowly. so you don't end up with the problem that is on your hands now.

Latest posts

Back