Fostering to a different Mother

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaden

Reaction score
Hello, I had a question! I have one doe is doing a great job as a mother with her one baby who is 2 weeks today and will be out of the box anytime. I have another doe is not doing great at all with the babies that are 5 days old. Is it too late to foster those babies to the other mom? Thank you for your help!

Honestly I would not risk it. For me, generally I don't foster rabbits unless they are within 5 days of age; especially in this case, where the foster kits are the young ones they're likely to be ignored and overlooked in favor of the 2 week old kits. If you really need to get milk in them and the birth dam is not working (and you can't even hold her down to nurse) you could probably hold down the mother of the 2 week olds and let the 5 day old rabbits nurse on her, then return the 5 day olds to their real mother once they are finished nursing, but I've not had a good success rate with that in the past.

Latest posts

Back