Fostering Rabbits is tough

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby Kyhos

Reaction score
So I had 6 rabbits (some of you may remember from one of my posts), 2 of which I was kind of fostering, and was planning on keeping since I was getting attached. 6 rabbits was a lot, especially in an apartment, but I still loved them and had started looking for houses to create a big space for all of them. Today a friend from work contacted me asking where I got my rabbits from because her 9 year old daughter wanted to get 2, since Santa bought her a ton of rabbit items and hutch. At that moment I knew that the 2 rabbits (Hudson and Opal) weren't meant to stay with me. So the girl came and picked up the rabbits today and was so happy! She lit up, and it was so great to see. But I would be lying though if I didn't say that after they left I cried...that was not easy to do. Even though now they will get more attention with her than with me, and she was thrilled, it is still tough to watch these rabbits leave. I will miss them.

So I had 6 rabbits (some of you may remember from one of my posts), 2 of which I was kind of fostering, and was planning on keeping since I was getting attached. 6 rabbits was a lot, especially in an apartment, but I still loved them and had started looking for houses to create a big space for all of them. Today a friend from work contacted me asking where I got my rabbits from because her 9 year old daughter wanted to get 2, since Santa bought her a ton of rabbit items and hutch. At that moment I knew that the 2 rabbits (Hudson and Opal) weren't meant to stay with me. So the girl came and picked up the rabbits today and was so happy! She lit up, and it was so great to see. But I would be lying though if I didn't say that after they left I cried...that was not easy to do. Even though now they will get more attention with her than with me, and she was thrilled, it is still tough to watch these rabbits leave. I will miss them.

I'm sorry you had to get rid of them. A loss for you is a loss for all of us too. Hoping you feel better!

@BullseyeTheJerseyWooly thank you! It was a tough decision but something told me those 2 needed more than what I could give. Loved them so much but they are happier getting love, attention, and a ton of exercise! That little girl was so happy! And I know the family so the rabbits will be well loved and cared for

Big hugs to you. I had a female from a rescue that I was trying to bond with my boy but it didn’t work out and as per our agreement I gave her back to be re homed. Even though she hated my boy I fell in love with her and bawled my eyes out when I handed her over - if only I had the space to keep two seperate. I feel your heartbreak, it would be very difficult but you are doing a really good thing.

It's so hard to say goodbye, even if they are off to another good place. In the fostering community that I am acquainted with, your friends moving onto a wonderful forever home is considered a "foster success," while staying with the foster home is called a "foster fail." Not because the pet couldn't find a better place, but because the human couldn't bear to part with a pet who was supposed to just be a visitor. How wonderful for a bunny to be so deeply loved not once, but twice.

@Semac that they are!

I talked with the co-worker who adopted the 2 and her daughter is really enjoying them and it sounds like the bunnies are bonding with her. The bunnies have found a good home :)

I'm sorry, it's hard to let someone go who you care so much about.

I would give them lots of rabbit care advice though.
A little kid cannot care for two rabbits, and a little hutch is not suitable for them to live in.

Maybe you could offer them some info on rabbit and like @BullseyeTheJerseyWooly said, maybe they could join Rabbits Online.

Latest posts

Back