Fostering an "Aggresive (aka scared)" bun from a shelter; how do I start him out?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
Fostering one bun next week (first time fostering) one of the "Aggressive" cases thatI've encounted at my shelter; am thinking to take him (Harpo) to work with me each day so that he gets acclimated to people and new noises and just being handled, cuddled and to trust.

Harpo was brought to our shelter at 4 months of age about 2+ years ago and has lived ina little condo every since. Alot of the volunteers do not clean his condo as he is cage aggressive, but I've found if you sit with him for 15 minutes he just becomes a little sweet boy. He has been aletered sometime ago, so horomones aren't the case.

That being said, when I take him out of his "Home/Shelter" what should I expect and what would be the most beneficial for him? Take him home and let him "chill" in his new enviroment for a few days before taking him to my office (he needs alot of 1 on 1 work, and I have a full time job). He would be a great pet, just needs some TLC.

Any suggestions are MOST appreciated.

is he just cage aggressive?..when hes out of his cage does he lunge at you or bite ?? ..
i wouldnt suggest putting an aggressive bunny where others can stress him out even more...like ur work.he doesnt need to get used to noises he needs to learn to trust. ,that starts with sitting quietly with him and not touching him..just let him do his thing around you...after awhile hell get used to u being there and not grabbing him and harming him...thats the first step of trust...then u can break out with a treat and make him eat it from ur hand...
he isnt aggressive cuz of noises ..he obviously hasnt been handled much...thats really sad.. 4 month old aggressive bunny can be rehabilitated to trust alot easier then a 2 year old bunny...
if its just cage aggression then u gotta somewhat understand that ,,THAT is HIS home and i wouldnt want anybody messing with my toilet if i was on it either..:)
my cage aggressive bunny took me months to get him to stop lunging at me..when i needed to get something out of his cage i would put a hand in and scratch his head ,while the other hand grabbed what i needed ...i would scratch him everytime i went in there...after awhile he realized that my hand didnt harm him and he actually really started enjoying the scratchings..now 5 months later i dont have to do this method...cuz he now thinks of my hand as a positive thing...thats the key...everytime ur hand goes near him ..scratch him or give him a little treat.....make it enjoyable to him...
when u do a full cleaning of his cage make sure u get him out ...no bunny likes their furniture moved around too much.
my Bambam hated me cleaning her litter box...she would grab her poop box from my hand and flip it over ..yea her dirty poop box...fun fun...
just remember that this is not a quick fix...this will take alot of time and patience,,if u take him home and then realize its too much work..this poor bunny will go back to the shelter and be stuck in a little dirty cage for the rest of his life...and prob wont be adopted out...so u could be his only chance...he doesnt do this stuff to be evil..hes a scared little bunny that mightve been handled badly at a very young age..he just trying to protect himself and he doesnt realize ur one of the good guys...thats ur job ...to make him realize that there are people out there with a gentle hand...

Good luck ! and keep us posted!

Kudos to you for taking him home to work with him! This is so important for aggressive bunnies and really the only way they'll learn to live with a family.

It sounds like you already have the right idea since you're able to work with him and calm him down at the shelter. Just keep doing what you're doing there and I think he'll get better because your work with him will be consistent. Right now what he's lacking is consistency and a lot of room to run around - provide those and I think you'll see changes.

Just go with your gut on approaching him and handling him. Stay calm and don't let him push you around by lunging and boxing. Just show him that you're not there to hurt him, but you won't leave when he gets bossy either.

Thanks for the advice. yes Harpo is just cage aggressive, once we let him out of his condo into an Xpen he binkies about and has a lovely time; I think he just being at the shelter so long he hates all of these individuals reaching and grabbing him (understandable).

and yes I agree with you now, perhaps just leave him at home to acclimate to his new space and then will try him at the office.

We usually let new bunnies settle in for about a week before we'd start the holding and handling and then once they were up to that it was on to new sights and sounds. Anything new needs to be introduced gradually. Good luck.

I have worked with cage aggressive buns in the past. If you have the space I would use an x-pen for him. I also find that reaching in from the top the bun will least likely to attack. Just reach in slow and stroke him before picking him up.

I agree I would wait on taking him to work for now. Let him get use to you than start letting him get use to other people gradually. Good luck.

Update on Harpo: He's not a morning bun - he's much crankier is the morning; by the timeI get home from work he's manageable.

This morning he was in a super cranky mood and while I was petting him he just continued to "grumble/snarl" but wasn't trying to get away, bite or box me? Thought for a moment maybe his was not feeling well but he then hopped over and started eating.

Last night I tried enticing him with raisins (he had about 4), I tried petting him while holding the raisins so that he might associate the smell of raisin and petting but then when I tried to hand feed him one, he lunged, boxed and snarled; later he did however hop over to me and completely sniffed me out, after a minute of that I tried to pet him, but he took off for the otherside of the Xpen where apparently, this areais the designated "petting area"..

Is there anything I should do as far as "correcting" his boxing/lunging behaviour? From what I've read its best to just "stand your ground" and not back up when they do this or can you say "block" them or push them back (gently of course)?

i think u need to back up a step....dont try and pet him yet...dont do the treat thing yet...just sit with him and dont touch him...this is the important step of trust...he needs to be able to hop all around u and ON you without you touching him...keep doing this and hell start to get closer and closer to you and then hell start putting his guard down and maybe wash himself within ur reach...and when he nose bonks you thats when u know ur making progress:)...THEN maybe put a raisin on the floor by you...u dont want to reach out and grab him or pet him until hes comfortable with you being in his space....its a looong process but its so worth it..im glad ur keeping us updated ..hes so lucky to have you:)

Wow - thanks so much for the advice - really never thought I was moving to quickly or how that could set us back, so thanks. Obviously this is going to take longer than I thought, but am very interested in the process.

naa i dont think ur moving too quickly i just dont think u started "basic" enough...im no expert at this kinda thing but this is whats worked for me ..ive had 21 buns come thru my door that ive caught or rescued and a few were very unfriendly to any human contact....took me weeks to catch some of em...some were easier then others to calm down.most i adopted out but some are part of my family now..and they will always have a little more aggressive personality then the other buns..but atleast they dont lunge or attack me anymore...i still have 1 bunny that wont let me touch her...shes been like this since i got her ..shes very antisocial but shes not mean so it doesnt concern me too much i just let her do whats comfortable for her and i dont push it.she likes when i sit in her xpen with her and not look her way or touch her ..and shell nudge me and if i ignore her shell nudge me harder ..and when i turn to look at her she will binky away from me everytime.....its how she plays with me...its stinkin cute...i think ur gonna do fine with this little guy...ur prob gonna end up getting attached to him too...:)

"FG" I put your advice in motion and its working! I sat with Harpo last night and after about 30 minutes of carefully watching me he came over - sniffed me all over and then ran back to his spot and rolly-flopped! This AM he didn't lunge at me when I put his pellets in his bowl and he seems more relaxed.

Great advice.

Latest posts

Back