Foraging Garden

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingWife

Reaction score
Viking and I are planning a foraging gardens for our rabbits on our patio which directly connects to their room.

My questions are:

Does anyone have one of these?

What do you have planted?

What did you plant in?

What’s best to plant?

What are the best grasses for rabbits?

Best vetegables, herbs, and fruit?

Do you keep drinking water near the garden?

Our patio is mostly shaded except certain times when the sun hits it for about 1-3 hours the entire day. We’re also on the second floor facing a lake. Our skates are big enough the rabbits can get through so any suggestions to block those are appreciated as well.

The difficulty with a foraging garden is that steps need to be taken to prevent bunnies from eating the herbs down to the root. I'll see if I can find a photo to show how some have prevented this.

I plant an herb garden, but it isn't for the rabbits to roam in. I just harvest as needed. Basil, mint, dark lettuces, cilantro, are all good options. Of course it may depend on what area of the country/world you are in. My basil makes it through our very hot summers in the SW desert. Fruit should be greatly limited so I wouldn't allow free reign for fruits or even certain veggies.

A photo of the potential escape area would be helpful.

This is the only one I could find. I've seen other options, but this may give you an idea.
5960528063a2cfd5de2a6a7996090c7b--rabbit-eating-rabbit-food.jpg

I’ve seen some similar to that on Pinterest. Will the...im not sure what the black metal thing is, but will it help prevent from overeating?

I wanted to plant fresh grass too but I can’t seem to find any seeds either. We’re located in the Atlanta area. Summers are nasty hot here.

The barricade over the pot is just to keep it from being eaten down to the root. If it is not eaten down too far, then it will always re-grow.

The only way I can think to keep them from over-eating would be to limit the time they have access to it.

Your summers are hot and humid. Ours are dry. Just be careful if you let buns out in the heat (on patio). They can get heatstroke in 85F (maybe lower than that when humidity is factored in).

IMG_3372.jpg

If I understand your one question this would work to keep bunnies safe on higher lvl with wide slats.

Latest posts

Back