For Those Who've read Breaking Dawn

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPot

Reaction score
Thought I would move the discusion out of the other thread so people won't accidentally read anything they don't want to. heh.

So I was saying - I had a real issue with the whole pregnancy baby thing. I'm happy that Bella and Edward had a kid, but it was so wierd and I had trouble digesting it at first.

And then the fact that Jacob imprints on the baby - how convenient. I dunno... I still find the imprinting on a baby wierd too. LOL. This whole book was odd.

Nadia

gwhoosh wrote:
Oh, and (one) of my favorite quotes?

Emmett: Go Gators!

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Ummm I've had some time to reflect though. And while I was satisfied with the ending, the whole of it just seemed kind of....out there, if you know what I mean.

I'm so with you - I actually had to pause after the end of the first "bella" section and let myself take it in.

What a random direction this book took. Totally wasn't expecting it, but at the same time It makes sense knowing the author's biography. She's very into family, no sex before marriage, kids etc... so it fits, but it was SO far from where I saw it going.

I had real issues with the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing. It was all very contrived and convenient. Like things fell together too perfectly, too easily, too conveniently. But I still love the characters and it was satisfying... although in a wierd way. LOL.

Nadia

I agree. I just sat down and wrote a loooong LJ entry on my thoughts, and I realized there were A LOT of convenient things. And a lot of things I feel she pulled out of her butt. Like you said, like them having a baby. And there had been NO mention of immortal children before now. Some things I was like that was weird, I didn't see that happening, and others were SO predicatable.

I thought it was pretty convenient that her pregnancy was so short, that the baby grew so fast, that Charlie just went along with everything without knowing, that they are suddenly able to concieve, that it was relatively easy for them to have sex, that it was SO easy for Bella to control herself as a newborn, that Jacob just becomes an Alpha all of a sudden, that he imprints on the baby, that Nessie will stay (about) 18 forever as well, that her mom was suddenly totally cool with marriage. LOL yeah.

I thought it was pretty weak and anti-climactic that twice there was about the be a big battle, and nothing happened. (first with the packs). I was totally geared up for the biggest vampire battle EVER, even bigger than the last one and NOTHING HAPPENED. They walked away, because CONVENIENTLY Bella has the amazing ability to shield everyone.

But I did like some things, don't get me wrong! I loved the part where Edward hears Nessie the first time and she likes the sound of their voices. I ADORED the ending when Edward finally hears Bella's mind :) So cute. And I love that they have a happily ever after.

So yeah, I liked it, but there were a lot of things that I didn't because they didn't much make sense or were too convenient.

HoneyPot wrote:
gwhoosh wrote:
Oh, and (one) of my favorite quotes?

Emmett: Go Gators!

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Ummm I've had some time to reflect though. And while I was satisfied with the ending, the whole of it just seemed kind of....out there, if you know what I mean.

I'm so with you - I actually had to pause after the end of the first "bella" section and let myself take it in.

What a random direction this book took. Totally wasn't expecting it, but at the same time It makes sense knowing the author's biography. She's very into family, no sex before marriage, kids etc... so it fits, but it was SO far from where I saw it going.

I had real issues with the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing. It was all very contrived and convenient. Like things fell together too perfectly, too easily, too conveniently. But I still love the characters and it was satisfying... although in a wierd way. LOL.

Nadia

EXACTLY! :biggrin2:

gwhoosh wrote:
I thought it was pretty convenient that her pregnancy was so short, that the baby grew so fast, that Charlie just went along with everything without knowing, that they are suddenly able to concieve, that it was relatively easy for them to have sex, that it was SO easy for Bella to control herself as a newborn, that Jacob just becomes an Alpha all of a sudden, that he imprints on the baby, that Nessie will stay (about) 18 forever as well, that her mom was suddenly totally cool with marriage. LOL yeah.
Agreed! Add on that all of a sudden Bella - who used to keel over at the smell of blood from a pin prick - is okay with drinking blood. I know it's supposed to be the baby, but she doesn't even think twice about it.

And the battle thing - SO true. I was hoping there would be a battle, but the author totally shies away from anything violent every time. I expected that...

And how did Bella become so maternal in a week? All of this really only took place over the course of a few months, and all of a sudden Bella's somewhat teenage ways are gone, completely, and she's acting comepletely adult, with a kid, and a 'sex life'. (I have to keep reminding myself that this book was written for teens. LOL. )

It was still very cute, and I do like the easy way the author has of evoking emotions and making us love the characters, but wow. It was a total different take.

Yup, yup. I love the characters, but that's from reading the other books.

And also, Renesmee?? NOT a fan of the name. If she was going to do the whole stupid combining names thing, she should of at least made her first name Carlie.

I KNOW!!! Carlie is cute, Renesmee is stupid. And EJ (edward jacob)... comon, how immature is that. If we're going to have a kid when she's barely legal, at least make her more mature about naming it. LOL.

LOL I know! When they thought it was a boy and she said EJ, Edward Jacob, I was like oh God no... Then she said Renesmee and I was like wtf that's even more retardedomgitsgonnabeagirl. Like, I knew right away just because she wouldn't create such an outrageous name if it wasn't going to be a girl. When Bella got mad at everyone for calling her Nessie I was like, neeeh serves you right for giving her that name.

Yeah I have to agree with you guys.

Although I found the book to be enjoyable, it was very anticlimatic.

I'm still not sure about the whole pregnancy thing for a few reasons: 1) Bella didn't seem to care about it as a human experience. Sex w/ Edward was more important before her change than having a baby. (2) She's 18 for god's sake. Granted that it might follow Stephanie Meyer's teachings but Bella, as a character, is very immature. (3) I know many people had a feeling about her wanting the baby right after it kicked since it seemed like she did a 180 on the subject, but I could imagine that a baby conceived with love...and almost a miracle, could make someone change their mind.

I almost wanted a somewhat open, maybe unhappy ending. It was too wrapped up in a nice little bow for me. I wanted Jacob to still be open or...IDK. I think she just really didn't want an unhappy ending. It was too...cute for me.

Bella should have had more problems I think. Maybe wanting to hurt her daughter and Edward having to send her away with Jacob? I thought that might have been interesting to set a different tone.

The Volturi fight was a total cop-out.

And Rennesme? Carli is cute but RENNESME?? Bleh. I thought they'd pick something cute and traditional like Elizabethor something from Edward's time period.

Nad, youre in big trouble- the only posts from you are about this dang book! lol Where are my Misty/Charlie/Oliver pics?!

;)Miss ya

Bah I will NOT spend money on this. I am to much a supernatrul fan to read this. This we be like the book I read in highschool... Yea 30 kids turning and looking at me...Not pretty.

JadeIcing wrote:
Bah I will NOT spend money on this. I am to much a supernatrul fan to read this. This we be like the book I read in highschool... Yea 30 kids turning and looking at me...Not pretty.

It's actually one of the better books I have read in a long time Ali. The writing is very good and the emotion the author captures with her few words is phenomenal. I judge books on the quality of the writing, and if it was based solely on that, this author isamazing - it might be worth reading if you really are a supernatural fan. It's geared to teens, so that's something else to keep in mind.. ;)

Nadia

Haley wrote:
Nad, youre in big trouble- the only posts from you are about this dang book! lol Where are my Misty/Charlie/Oliver pics?!

;)Miss ya
Hahaha, I know. I had a slow day at work today, so I was on the forum for a bit. I'll try to get my more recent pictures up sometime soon. :p

HoneyPot wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:

It's actually one of the better books I have read in a long time Ali. The writing is very good and the emotion the author captures with her few words is phenomenal. I judge books on the quality of the writing, and if it was based solely on that, this author isamazing - it might be worth reading if you really are a supernatural fan. It's geared to teens, so that's something else to keep in mind.. ;)

Nadia
Usually that is enough for me. I have a few supernatural ones that are geared for teens. I love them. Eh I may get them from the library and see.

lalena2148 wrote:
And Rennesme? Carli is cute but RENNESME?? Bleh. I thought they'd pick something cute and traditional like Elizabethor something from Edward's time period.
Oh yes, something from Edward's time would have been cute. I think tooons of people are upset about the baby's name, SM definitely made a mistake there.

While I love the fact that Edward and Bella get to be together forever, when Bella was getting those fake papers, I could like see both her and Edward dying and Nessie one day thinking about all the trouble and preperation her mom had gone through to make sure she was safe. But then everyone was fine, so it was like pointless.

I read somewhere that SM likes to stick her own against her editors, when usually authors do whatever they say. I think maybe she should have listened more. The plot needed help, but she does really really well at conveying emotions and relationships, which is I think what most people love about the books. The characters and the ties between them :)

Latest posts

Back