For all who've had their rabbits syaped/neutered..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meghan910

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm planning on getting Manhattan neutered since he's been reallyfrisky and nipping me and stratching my boyfriend to no end. I justwanted to ask a few questions so that when I go to the vet, I can askhim and make sure that everything will run smoothly. I wanted to knowif you need to give your bun medication afterwards? What kind should Iexpect? Also, Do you always have to surringe (sp?) baby food..what kindand how much? Anything else that you were told, I'd like to know. Thanxa bunch!

Meghan

They are usually subdued and somewhat groggy fora day or two afterward. Takes a week or so for things to getback to somewhat normal. Only complication we've run into was post operative hemorrhaging and resultant swelling ofa testicle in one buck. After emergency room visit and visitto his vet, the swelling subsided, pretty much on its own. Ido think it was because the vet's new partner did the procedure and notthe customary vet we had expected.

Hormones take a while to dissipate from the bun's system(several weeks), so don't expect immediate behavioral changes.

Some questions you mightask. How many bunnies havethey done? Lose any? Should you deny food to yourbun prior to surgery(If answer is yes, get suspicious of vet'scompetence,as buns need their systems to be functioning allthe time) What kind of closure is used for the wound?(wefound surgical glue worked the best, with less "worrying" of theincision by the bun) Necessary to revisit for post-operativeinspection/removal of stitches?

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
They are usually subdued and somewhat groggy for a day ortwo afterward. Takes a week or so for things to get back tosomewhat normal. Only complication we've run in towas post operative hemorrhaging and resultant swelling of a testicle inone buck. After emergency room visit and visit to his vet,the swelling subsided, pretty much on its own. I do think itwas because the vet's new partner did the procedure and not thecustomary vet we had expected.

Hormones take a while to dissipate from the bun's system(several weeks), so don't expect immediate behavioral changes.

Some questions you mightask. How many bunnies havethey done? Lose any? Should you deny food to yourbun prior to surgery(If answer is yes, get suspicious of vet'scompetence,as buns need their systems to be functioning allthe time) What kind of closure is used for the wound?(wefound surgical glue worked the best, with less "worrying" of theincision by the bun) Necessary to revisit for post-operativeinspection/removal of stitches?

Buck
we don't generally use the glue because we havehad some bad experiences of bad batches of glue or it just not wantingto work and letting go. so I wouldn't be suprized if anothervet office having experienced that tends to go with another type ofclosure. I'm not saying it always does that, but dang they sure in hecksent us enough of it that didn't work the way it should have. Afterhaving used it quite successfully in the past.
Wegenerally use a dissolvablesuture. Every so often they will not dissolve and need to beremoved, but for the most part they dissolve or the bun removes themhimself. as long as the incision issealed you don't have anything to worry about.

Latest posts

Back