Football hold

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyshuman

Reaction score
A picture is worth 1000 words

This is how I trim the nails, do scent glands, and well bunny exams to the rabbits at the shelter and my own guys. That's around 8-12 rabbits a month, of all sizes. It's not that great for babies because they're too small, but works ok for dwarves. This way they don't move and I have a hand free, even if the bunny won't trance. Tony is the model. :biggrin2:

IMG_0003-1-1.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

from roxy rabbit - dear tony, me hoomin does this hold on me but she not brave enuff to wear t-shirt. i does not trance and i has claws;). she also wear torch on her head so she can see what she doing:rollseyes you is nice looking bun and your hoomin has spiffy t-shirt. luv roxy:)ps me new husbun is ex show bun so he a real poser and used to been handled.

Thanks for the pictures.

I've never seen it or triedbefore.I could probably do it with Bebe, because she is so layed back, butPebbles might struggle because she just doesn't like to be on her back. I never have problems trancing rabbits when I have to do any maintenance or exams on them.

That's how I clip everyone's nails except Rory's. They all do fine being held like that. I can normally cradle all of them like babies without them protesting, but when it comes to clipping nails, they prefer to be sitting sort of upright. Rory will lay on his back on my lap with his feet sticking up in the air, I don't even have to hold on to him to clip his nails! Thanks for posting a photo, hopefully it will help some people with nail clipping. Oh and Tony is way too cute! I love Dutchies!

Oh, it works really well with all the shelter bunnies, some of which are total terrors! Tony will trance like that, but many don't, so if they try to squirm I hold on to them with my arm--make a body-bunny-arm sandwich. That way they stay pretty still. If needed, I can use my left hand to hold them in the chest/belly area--applying a bit of upward pressure to keep them still. :)

I kind of do that hold. I tend to hold them in front of me like a baby, though. When I trim Toby's nails, I sit on the floor with my knees tucked up towards my chest, then I wedge him on my lap. It works nicely.

That looks cool! I like how you can get a real good look at the underside this way. Maybe I'll try that with Toby. He seems to respond more to being held closely. Kirby squirms the more snugly he's held.

I ordered a DVD from the NYC HRS chapter -- the lady there features a "Cuddle and Cut" method. It looks completely impossible but works nicely with my Kirby, but not Toby. You lift the bunny so he stands on his hind legs and hold them with one arm so that you're kind of cuddling the bun against your chest (best done on a kitchen counter or a table where you can stand and work with the bun) Then you just take one front leg at a time with the same arm that's holding him against your chest. When it's time to do their hind legs, you just wiggle the foot out and the bun will hold his foot out for you to cut. Doesn't it sound crazy? but it works, and they hold it steady out in the air (like the hokey pokey). No idea why!

Mine are very disagreeable with that position :p As are the rescue buns I have tried it with.

Mouse would probably find a way to back-flip out of that hold! And Chalk would probably wriggle out underneath my arm or something, but it would work for the others! The other 3 all tend to lie back, paws outstretched, teeth showing in a trance once I get a good hold of them lol... I use a similar hold to that, but they're more round the front of me, and I still have an arm free for clipping, cleaning scent glands, etc :yuck

Oh, and I LOVE Tony's face in the second picture! I laughed for a good 5 minutes over that- he just looks SO disapproving!! :D

Ahh his face!!! I love it.
My buns would never let me do that. I burrito them in a towel and give treats while I do it.

Quick question about scent glands, when you express them, do you just push on them from the outside or do you actually glove up and go in rectally?

I do scent glands with a q-tip--they're right next to the genitals on the outside of the body, not inside. Well, there are ones inside, but those nobody cleans.

Latest posts

Back