Flystrike In Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsyBunnies4

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok so maybe I'm overreacting a little... A friend's rabbit hurt its spine and is unable to go to the bathroom by its self, her owner was cleaning her bum and saw some maggots. Long story short... they discovered it is flystrike.

That's how I found out about flystrike. Now I'm totally paranoid because I'm worried my buns will get it. They are healthy (one of them is getting spayed on Friday, will that put her more at risk?), live indoors, and I clean their pens every day. They do get let outside to play when the weather permits. Despite that, I'm still super worried. Is there anything I can do to protect my rabbits? What do you do to protect yours?

Thanks!

Rabbits are usually only at risk when they have wet fur, open wounds, and/or poop stuck to their fur. If your rabbits are clean and dry, then it shouldn't normally be an issue. Plus indoor rabbits are usually less at risk.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/illness/flystrike/
I hope your friends rabbit ended up being ok and they were able to get it to the vet in time.

Latest posts

Back