Flying or leave home alone for 2 weeks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeslaTheBunny

Reaction score
Ok, so in planning for traveling over the holidays, I have realized that I have two options:
Bringing my rabbit Tesla on a plane, actually two flights connected by a layover, and staying for two weeks at a relatives house. He is an emotional support animal so could ride on the cabin with me.
Or
Leaving him alone at my house, I can arrange for someone to check on him every day or every other day and give him food and water. He normally free roams but would be in his cage the whole time due to safety risks.

Thoughts?

Take Tesla with you, if your bunny is used with going to places and following. I’ve done trips with my bunny Odin and have never faced any problems 😊

Otherwise staying home, it would be better that your bunny was with one. Instead of a person coming and checking every other day and left in the cage.

I would take him if you think he would be good on the plane (especially since you don't have to pay extra for him)! If you decide to leave him home, I second what Hermelin said. You should get a housesitter who will live at your house while you are gone. That is what we always do so Theo gets tons of attention!

Thanks, he's a pretty mellow guy and isn't afraid of the vacuum which I've heard is a good sign he would tolerate plane travel(he actually chases the vacuum). I'm just concerned about the stress involved in the new environment.

Thanks, he's a pretty mellow guy and isn't afraid of the vacuum which I've heard is a good sign he would tolerate plane travel(he actually chases the vacuum). I'm just concerned about the stress involved in the new environment.

It will just take a day or two to settle down. My own bunnies settle down in a day in their new area. The first thing they will do after a few hours is to binky 🤣

I'll be the dissenter here and say it would be far less stressful on the rabbit to leave him home.

It isn't just the flying that is stressful for the rabbit. He'll (presumably) have the car ride to the airport, the hectic noise and commotion of the airport itself, the wait at the gate, the boarding confusion and tussling, the stress of the pressure changes on take-off and landing ... and then double all of that with the layover. Then, after all of that stress (hours of constant stress actually) will be the drive to wherever you are staying and then the adjustment to the totally new environment. It can take some rabbits weeks longer than 2 weeks to settle into a new place. Then, just when (if) he gets all settled, he has to go through all of the flight hassle all over again! All of this would put a rabbit in an almost constant state of stress which can lead to further physical issues/problems as well.

The best scenario for your rabbit would be to stay home where he is in familiar surroundings. You won't be there, but the rest will be familiar and comforting. He'll be fine being confined for a couple weeks.

Isn't there only one airline in the US right now that will allow rabbits to fly? I know I just read an article on it recently that support animals or not, rabbits are very infrequently allowed to fly as of recent times. Am I wrong?

Okay, I just read again, there are a few airlines that do, for some flights, at some times, with certain carriers, when only a certain number of animals have booked a flight. There are different specifications in different circumstances regarding cabin versus cargo. So... Just check your particular airline and flight info carefully before committing. I remember this as our usual airline Southwest refuses all rabbits under any circumstances. There is a very amusing letter from the House Rabbit Society to Southwest including a petition campaign entitled, Give Rabbits Wings.

I think it is all up to you, you know your rabbit and you can imagine if flying will be stressful for him or staying alone will be more stressful for him. Some rabbits are very easy with traveling. But I agree that for safety reasons if he will stay home and someone will come check him once a day it will be safer for him, if he has large enough cage it's okay if he will stay in for 2 weeks.
If he is your ESA maybe you are very bonded and will stay together on the flight and all the time of travel and it will be best for you both. We here know nothing about his character, temperament etc.

I think it is all up to you, you know your rabbit and you can imagine if flying will be stressful for him or staying alone will be more stressful for him. Some rabbits are very easy with traveling. But I agree that for safety reasons if he will stay home and someone will come check him once a day it will be safer for him, if he has large enough cage it's okay if he will stay in for 2 weeks.
If he is your ESA maybe you are very bonded and will stay together on the flight and all the time of travel and it will be best for you both. We here know nothing about his character, temperament etc.
Hi whatever you decide to do is your call but if your rabbit stays at home it would be nice to have a sitter and if you have time you could have a video link so he can see you and hear your voice, just an idea. Happy travels.

Okay, I just read again, there are a few airlines that do, for some flights, at some times, with certain carriers, when only a certain number of animals have booked a flight. There are different specifications in different circumstances regarding cabin versus cargo. So... Just check your particular airline and flight info carefully before committing. I remember this as our usual airline Southwest refuses all rabbits under any circumstances. There is a very amusing letter from the House Rabbit Society to Southwest including a petition campaign entitled, Give Rabbits Wings.

Well, legally, they can't refuse to allow him as he is a service animal.

Latest posts

Back