Fly Strike on my diasbled bunny, is it time to let go?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are doing a great job. I took care of a disabled mother before she died for years and know what you are going through. I know rabbit to human is different..
I think you are putting all into it and there was tons of info on CocoPuff's blog and I think Chris also posted some information on there about other disabled rabbit info that might help.

Has the doctor done any Xrays to see if anything is fractured?

Keep up the great work!

Vanessa

These next photos show the scab as it is today. Dry and peeling away from his skin. It's too early for that I think, so there is some pretty raw spots down in there. I have trimmed the loose edges so hopefully he won't snag it on anything. I can't wait for the skin to heal up.

DSCI3268.jpg

DSCI3267.jpg

So at least half of this big scab ripped off and was hanging there like a tag on the back of your shirt. I cut it off, and now there's a smaller area of pink/white fragile skin that needs protected. I have called the vet and asked for a prescription for Silvadene. I can use that on both my bunnies. They don't have in in stock but I could order it online and then they call to verify the prescription. This vet office is probably sick of me, but it's the only local clinic.

These are pics from today. Before and after the scab became loose. The vet would not write a script for Silvadene so I called another office and they also said no. I don't get what the big deal is. It's just a cream, not a narcotic or something terrible. It seems like that medical care (for animals and people) comes down to how much money you have. It's disheartening.

DSCI3270.jpg

DSCI3278.jpg

Horse purple spray? Don't know if it's rabbit safe though.

You can get ivermectin in liquid form for sheep you just water it down a lot. Horse ivermectin is paste (I have horses) and wouldn't be very useful for rabbits as you can't water it down, plus the Equimax ivermectin based wormer smells foul. Oatmeal flavour my a**! Haha

You could try panacur? From what I hear it's really good for external, internal parasites and bacterial parasites. It's perfectly safe for rabbits I don't know the dosage but you can buy it from a stock feeder. From what I've been told it's stronger then ivermectin? One of the horses had. Bad case of pinworms and I was suggested that if ivermectin didn't do the job... went through abamectin and all of that rubbish and none of it worked! Oh dear.

As for disabled bunnies sounds a lot like EC and your buns disabled or not if you care for them with the things they need care for they'll be fine. CocoPuff is a prime example. I am a proud owner of a three legged bun and there was no decision to make when I was given two options euthanasia or amputation. He's improving with his fly strike and it can be incredibly common.. geldings and stallions get the pests I'm their sheaths! Imagine that.. poor things. Your bun is doing great so keep up the good work and he'll only get better.

Good news folks! I was telling my boyfriend about the Silvadene crisis and he said he thought he had something with silver in it in the medicine cabinet and guess what!? He had a product by Kendall called Thermazene which is essentially another brand name of Silvadene! He said he had an oil splatter burn and they prescribed a big jar of it.

Thank you all for your excellent help and support. This has been an emotional ordeal for me. Especially because 2 of my cats passed in the last year, one to liver disease and one had a seizure and died shortly after quite unexpectedly. It hurts so bad when a pet dies.

Yes it does hurt. I get choked up just thinking about it. I also have two sister mini-dachshunds that are 14 years old and I'm not looking forward to letting them go at any age. :bunnyhug: You're doing an awesome job and I'm sure that your bunny is in love with you for it.

Each day, Big Brown's scab gets smaller and smaller. I trim off the loose parts so that it doesn't catch on something and tear off. It looks like its oozing a little plasma serum, but it is clean and I think it will be ok. I feel so bad for him. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since the fly strike and his little bunny bum is still pretty ragged. I am looking forward to the day when his skin is whole and there are no scabs or wounds to worry about.

DSCI3288.jpg

Three weeks ago today, I was cleaning eggs and maggots off of my sweet boy, Big Brown. I caught them early enough to save my bunny's life, thank God. I was so scared when it happened. After I read that it could be fatal and that I may have complications from toxicity I was in tears as I was washing him. I kept telling myself if one more bath could save his life, then I need to do it. During breaks from bathing, I picked tiny maggots off of him with tweezers and clipped his fur back. My boyfriend was a great helper because he stayed quiet and held Big Brown still while I attacked the bugs. It took about 9 hours before I felt 99% sure we had got them all. And I kept rechecking him the next couple of days.

This is his wound today. The scab is mostly gone and the new skin is on the way! He is still disabled, but we will manage that as best we can.

DSCI3300.jpg

This photo is from last night. The wound is still producing plasma and has a little yellow crust on it from time to time. It's improving every day and I feel really encouraged. When he is healed I want to try diapering him.

DSCI3342.jpg

He's looking great! Good grief that looks so itchy though. From all I have read, if you do diaper him, he will surely need a balm to protect his skin from the urine scald.

Sorry I haven't posted any updates for a while. Things got a little crazy and I got laid off work so there has been some adjusting going on. But now, I am so very happy to say Big Brown's scab is gone and there is a little bit of a scar but it is not bad at all. I have tried to take photos every few days because I wanted to document the healing process and as bad as it was at the beginning, it has healed wonderfully in my opinion.

Here are a few photos to show the last few weeks progress. Poor Big Brown, having pictures of his hiney posted all over the internet for the whole world to see. I hope that his experience can help or encourage somebody else who is going through a similar situation. I have relied heavily on this site and web searches for much of my information in caring for him.

DSCI3403.jpg

DSCI3406.jpg

DSCI3417.jpg

DSCI3468.jpg

It looks really good! I'm so happy for your boy having recovered from such a scary thing, thanks to all your hard work at getting him here. Nursing a sick bun is no easy thing. I'm sure he appreciates all you have done as well :)

I'm so sorry about your job :( I guess the upside is that you'll get lots of bunny time now.

Latest posts

Back