Flooring Recommendations?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solstice

Reaction score
I keep my bunnies in a large ex-pen, and I've been struggling with flooring since I got them. I didn't want them running around on hardwood floor so I put down a tarp at first, but they easily scratched and chewed up the edges. I'm also looking at foam puzzle mats, but I'm afraid they would chew or scratch that up too easily. I've seen some people on here mention vinyl or linoleum, but I can't find many of cheap options of amazon. I just want something nonslip, affordable, and waterproof. Any recommendations? (Links would be appreciated!)

Sorry to say I don't have a link, but when I was looking for a similar solution (my buns can't walk on hardwood to save their lives) I went to Lowes and bought the cheapest outdoor 10'x10' rug available (~$30). It's low pile and beyond a little wear in favorite nap spots, practically indestructible. Put it over the tarp and it will be 100% waterproof and protect your floors.
I'm not a big puzzle mat fan, simply because I have two very destructive rabbits and I don't want to risk ingestion.

You will probably have to sacrifice a bit of style shopping from the bargain bin (my rug was a very gaudy orange pattern, which I LOVED), but it will do the trick and not break the bank. Good luck!

I love my setup and I use linoleum just sitting on top of my flooring. They have great traction though I do also give them blankets on top occasionally. 64AA03C0-1F36-46F4-8B44-22796ABEF9C6.jpeg9020849E-A956-4A90-AF3D-F3B0417F35E6.jpeg
these are the most recent pictures I have. I got this for about $30 a year or so ago from Home Depot

Area rugs are great in my opinion, they work very well and are very easy to clean with a simple vacuum. :)

I've tried puzzle mats before but they ended up being eaten, and I also have tile but she slips around on it so area rugs worked best for me. Ikea has a lot that can work awesome!

The best option for you is to get a Ruggable. These are basically highly durable, large, washable rugs! They are great for bunnies as they are hard to chew, and you can find them used for quite a good price. Here is a similar, more affordable rug.

My other suggestions include vinyl, tile, interlocking mats, or textured hardwood-like flooring. Visit your local flooring store, they usually give free vinyl scraps under 25 square feet. Puzzle piece mats are definitely worth a try if your bunny is not a chewer, or you can try out some other flooring options that are hard and click together.

I have used rolled vinyl flooring from home Depot and it's worked really well. It's one continuous piece, so no edges for them to chew. I'll have to look into the flooring store option for free remnants. Free is always and nice alternative!

I love my setup and I use linoleum just sitting on top of my flooring. They have great traction though I do also give them blankets on top occasionally. View attachment 58590View attachment 58591
these are the most recent pictures I have. I got this for about $30 a year or so ago from Home Depot
How do you get the ends of the linoleum to stay flat? Not roll up or get ripped up?

Rug works best for my rabbit. I got one that is tightly rolled so just in case she decided to chew on it she wouldn't get fibers, or anything caught in her throat or stomach. It's the best thing I've tried compared to soft mats and stuff.

Latest posts

Back