Flooring recommendation for senior rabbit with arthritis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are in the process of adopting a 2nd rabbit through a rabbit rescue in Chicago. The new rabbit, Norm, has a few issues one of them being arthritis. The floor for our current rabbit Lola is porcelain tile and the inside of her house has a yoga mat. Would like to line the entire area with something to help the new rabbit cope better. Area is a weird size being 2ft x 12ft. I have seen rolls of yoga mats but they are pricy upwards of $200. Recommendations?

Attachments

• Lola house.jpg
    Lola house.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
What about foam puzzle mats? They provide cushioning and traction, but the issue with some rabbits is they'll try and chew them up. Would your rabbit leave it alone and not try and chew it?

That is the issue. Lola found an edge of the yoga mat under her house and chewed it. Now all the edges are under the house. If I get one solid piece I can hide the edges under the wall shoe base and fence. But I think it needs to be one piece.

I use the foam tiles for my rabbits. To keep them from chewing at the seam connections, I taped it with wrestling mat tape. Using the wood veneer foam tiles also worked better for my rabbits in preventing them chewing at the tiles. Though if you have a really determined rabbit, nothing will stop the chewing of the foam mat. In which case stable matting would definitely be a more chew resistant option, though just not as good of padding. I'm guessing your rabbit would destroy rugs if you tried them?

For our elders and hind-limb paresis buns, we usually have low weave (Mohawk brand, etc., found at Menard's stores, Home Depot) carpet pad underneath their ex-pen areas. Our home including the kitchen has all low-weave carpets as the buns hop or run thru multiple rooms.

Ditto on @JBun's comment wrt some buns choosing to pull up carpet fibers or gnaw at the neatly bound edges. We have also placed folded cotton sheets (for our less-mobile elders) on top of the low-weave carpet areas. For chewers we use 12x12 tiles to discourage their fave chew corners in their private bedroom space/s.

Q: What set-up or flooring does the rescue use now for your soon-to-be family member?

Q: Have you talked with the rescue or foster parent/s regarding flooring and whether Norm is a carpet chewer, fabric or towel chewer? Is Norm able to hop and scamper about fairly well at the moment?

MoMo was hind-limb paresis so we did laundry loads daily as she was unable to hop into a low-weave entry litter box. Numerous elders at age 12-13 were able to navigate their private bedroom areas with soft carpeting pads or be mobile in several rooms of the house for playtime.

Attachments

• JSBPhotoCR_MoMoMouthInBowlJune2014RS.jpg
    JSBPhotoCR_MoMoMouthInBowlJune2014RS.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 2
  • MoMo_Dec2014_PumpkinTastesGoodRS.jpg
    MoMo_Dec2014_PumpkinTastesGoodRS.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back