Flooring for older bun with spinal disc issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bun Willow has spent the entirety of her life living in an X-men enclosure on UHaul brown paper and cardboard boxes . The joy of her life is to sit on cardboard and rip it apart .
She is now 13yr old and recently was diagnosed with spinal disc issues which temporarily left her unable to use hind legs.
I had to redo her enclosure with huge rug remnant with towels over it. This, in addition to pain meds has given her the grip to get up and get around.
The reason she never had cloth or rugs in her enclosure when she was younger is that she will eat it.
As she is getting better each day I see her starting to eat small pieces out of the towels.
I am at a loss . I need flooring that she can grip well but cannot ingest ...suggestions??

Thanks for the suggestion!
Yesterday Jim and I spent the entire afternoon in Home Depot and Menards looking at mats, carpets, etc. I had not yet seen the reply so I ended up buying several floor mats with rubber backing and short minimal carpet fiber on front. Last evening , for whatever reason, she was having issues standing up again ; I do not know why?? I noticed it before I placed the mats down and I do not think it was the new flooring but I switched it back to towels after an exhausting night
She cannot use a litterbox so it is a challenge to keep up with the cleaning (2-3 times per day)
Next step is to get the indoor out door although there is a lot of selection .
Any other tips let me know :)

Do you think vet bed or similar faux sherpa fleece fabric would work for your bun? I used it for my old bun when she lost use of her hind legs, to help keep the urine drained away from her and provide a soft surface for her to lay on. I had a layer of disposable pee pads, then towels, with the sherpa fleece fabric over the top. My bun wasn't much of a chewer so it wasn't a problem, but even then the fleece is semi resistant to chewing because of the fuzzy pile on the top side of the fabric.

Vet bed is a thicker pile and more expensive, so I just used the thinner pile sherpa fleece fabric from a fabric store. It's not as good as the thicker vet bed, but it worked alright for my bun. The thicker stuff might be harder for a bun to chew though, but not sure as I've never used it.

http://www.lakesideproducts.com/Vet-Bedding-Fleece-c25/
https://www.joann.com/luxury-faux-fur-sherpa-fabric-58-white/14387625.html

Do you think vet bed or similar faux sherpa fleece fabric would work for your bun? I used it for my old bun when she lost use of her hind legs, to help keep the urine drained away from her and provide a soft surface for her to lay on. I had a layer of disposable pee pads, then towels, with the sherpa fleece fabric over the top. My bun wasn't much of a chewer so it wasn't a problem, but even then the fleece is semi resistant to chewing because of the fuzzy pile on the top side of the fabric.

Vet bed is a thicker pile and more expensive, so I just used the thinner pile sherpa fleece fabric from a fabric store. It's not as good as the thicker vet bed, but it worked alright for my bun. The thicker stuff might be harder for a bun to chew though, but not sure as I've never used it.

http://www.lakesideproducts.com/Vet-Bedding-Fleece-c25/
https://www.joann.com/luxury-faux-fur-sherpa-fabric-58-white/14387625.html

Thanks Jenny, she is not yet paralyzed and most of the time can keep her balance and move around if the flooring of the xpen is kept very
flat. Last night she had an episode of not being able to get her hind legs under her and when attempting to get up just goes in a circle.
I gave her extra pain meds and it seemed to help.
Today she is back up .
I don' think the fleece would give her the grip necessary to get up when she is able to ...so I think her need for that is still to come.

Latest posts

Back