Flooring /diy question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NKS

Reaction score
Our two buns dig and chew up any flooring we use for their exercise pen. One is prone to stasis, so we really don't want to keep risking her health. For now they're just on a tarp, but they're chewing that up too. I just bought a piece of sheet vinyl flooring (not slippery at all) to try. We have nice, very old hardwood floors I don't want to screw up. Is it OK to just put the sheet loosely on the wood? I want to minimize risk of mold and it' s not clear if a layer under it would be better or worse. Thanks in advance!

As long as the floor is dry when you lay the cut of lino over it, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. And as long as no moisture seeps under the edges. Though if you're concerned if it will affect your wood floor, maybe talk to someone from the place where you got the lino.

Agreed that consultation with someone experienced with flooring for the sake of your wood floor is needed to address that concern, but if you're confident in the traction of the vinyl, that is likely a fine flooring. Flooring that is loose and not stable in every inch is very tempting for rabbits to dig up and chew (ex. a tarp, blanket, etc.). Also, if your rabbit is inclined to all this chewing, you can consider ways to redirect the energy, since the energy is clearly there. I've found that rabbits who tend towards flooring/baseboards enjoyed 'anchored' toys, such as securing a cat scratcher to a pen wall, or tying fleece blankets somewhere so they can continually dig at it.

I use lino under my parrot cages to protect the flooring and they make a mess no rabbit can even compete with. Anytime ive pulled them up to clean around the edges the floor under appears perfect.
Otherwise you could build a wooden base for them with a 1x2 around the edge and use textured ceramic tile as the floor.

Thanks all! The lino (luxury vinyl here in the states) is awesome - so easy to clean, and they don't nibble it if they can't access the edges. I appreciate all the advice!

Latest posts

Back