Flooring and hay rack ideas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggeliki

Reaction score
Helloo!! So I need FLOORING ideas because right now im using a bed sheet and because my floor is wooden in case he spills his water bowl inside the cage under the bed sheet I am using a nylon sheet (i know it is bad if he swallows it, i am always watching him) and i want to change this nylon sheet with something else any ides? (I am thinking of a foam floor protector mat but i am scared if he chew it) ALSO i am currently using this hay rack and because I recently changed his cage into a x-pen he is not using the hay rack as he used to any ideas what to buy or make as a hay rack for this x-pen

Attachments

• IMG_20190702_150128.jpg
    IMG_20190702_150128.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 15620697598976586151544517853182.jpg
    15620697598976586151544517853182.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 29
I have the same problem as you with the hay rack. For flirting you should use puzzle mat florring as it is great and doesn’t absorb.

If you’re worried about him chewing, you can buy an off cut of linoleum, makes a really good floor for an x-pen.
As for hay rack, some rabbits don’t like to eat from a hay rack (naturally they would want to eat off the floor as they would in the wild) so most of us put the hay directly into the litter tray.

Get some bunny-friendly blankets online to make the floor a bit softer too. Fill a box full of hay so your bun can poop and eat hay as they would naturally. Make sure the hay smells nice and fresh, as I've noticed my bunny is picky about whether hers is or not and won't eat it if it's been sitting for a few hours or so, and maybe pull some pieces out of the tray so it's sticking out through the x-pen

My rabbit has fabric hay feeders that are made from old pajama pant legs that I cut up (so they match and are identical in size). Here's a video of him using it and a different view. I do think that rabbits like being able to toss around the hay, so sometimes more structured hay racks can be unappealing, which is why many people put a pile in a box or something.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bni3taWgIDJ/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl0r3p2ANgb/

This is a more "bucket"-like one, because he likes being able to dig through the top, but he has others that are more typical of what you'd see for fabric feeders, which have more lateral holes, rather than top access.

I bought yards of fleece on sale at the fabric store and that's what I use over my rug for bunny flooring. My 10 week old doe all of a sudden decided to pee all over her play pen area so I have waterproof mattress flat sheets between the rug and fleece. She hasn't peed since I washed everything and gave her another litter box in her play pen but I keep the waterproof sheets down just in case. Babies...sigh. I also bought that at the fabric store. I do not leave my rabbits out in their play pens unsupervised (yet) and I often have to distract my naughty doe from chewing up the fleece. (My 12 week old buck doesn't try to chew it at all). I've thought about buying a linoleum remnant but I really like the softness and the traction that they get on the fleece. And they binky all over it A LOT.

I use small wood hay racks that I got at Petco because they double as a chew toy also. My rabbits seem to prefer to eat the hay right out of their litter boxes though.

Latest posts

Back