Flies in the house

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys...

A couple days ago a fly got in our house. And since, every time someone opens the door, another comes in (we've watched it happen EVERY time). I'm worried, because of the fact that we today had six flies in the house, that we might end up with Fly Strike.

So, here's the situation:

I'm quite convinced they aren't breeding in our house, but where do you suggest I check to be absolutely sure?

I've checked the cat's litterbox, the bunnies' litterboxes, the downstairs floor of their cage, and the only place I've found flies at all was in the kitty's food bowl (and that was just them eating the food, no maggots have been found ANYWHERE).

What can I do RIGHT NOW that will start working RIGHT NOW to prevent Fly Strike?

My husband is about to leave to the store to get vanilla extract (it will probably be imitiation because we don't have a whole lot of money to spend right now) and some white vinegar so we can add the vanilla extract to both the buns' and the kitties' water. We'll be using the vinegar to clean the bottom floor of the buns' cages (just to be sure), and all the litterboxes in the house. The only thing I worry about is the time it will take for the vanilla to work. Will cleaning out the litterboxes with the vinegar mixture help that until the vanilla works its way through our animals' systems?

Is there anything else I can do? I suspect the main problem might be that we have three landfills within 2 miles of our home. I really wish I'd thought to check before Summer came around, but what can ya do? Now that we know we have this problem, we need to find a way to handle things before anything happens as a result (aside from the flies buzzing around our household). I might just do the vanilla and vinegar handlings from now on, even during the winter, to prevent any further problems and just make it a regular part of our cleaning process.

Another question: how often do I need to clean out their litterboxes with the vinegar solution?

Thanks so much for your ideas, guys! :)

One thing real quick...I have determined by pictures online that the flies in our house are, without a doubt, houseflies.

At least I can sigh relief that they aren't listed in the harmful fly list...not that it'll stop me from cleaning their cages from top to bottom and putting the vanilla in their water!!

There is a harmful fly list?! :ponder:I didn't know that, I assumed they were all harmful.

Anyways, you should be bale to buy those sticky fly paper traps. They are no good for outdoor use but they should work good for catching a few indoor flies. Keep them out of reach of bunnies. Try putting them on top of cabinets, the fridge, even the top of cabinets in the kitchen if the cabinetsdon't go to the roof.

Okay, cool...thanks. The kitties are radicating most of the flies that are getting in. We think they're getting in through one of the windows' frames, so my husband is going to check all of them and seal them completely. The reason we think that's what's happening is because there were six earlier, the kitties have eaten at LEAST four now, and there are still six, if not a couple more. They must be getting in somewhere...as they are all adult flies. Wouldn't we see younger/smaller flies if they had reproduced?

Another reason we think they're getting in somewhere from outside: our house is running about 30 degrees cooler than outside. We also have a few ants venturing into the bathroom (and only the bathroom) for the water and cooler environment. I guess it's to be expected, what with it about 100 degrees F here today...argh...

Anyone else's suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you guys so much! :D

hehehe...Maherwoman, our kitties are the best anti-fly system I've found! :D

We've got a lot in our house lately, too. I wonder why they're so abundent all of the sudden :?

Maherwoman..I missed somewhere what the vanilla is for? We are also getting a lot of flies in our house because when we let our older dog in it takes him a long time to climb the three stairs. It seems like as soon as the door opens several flies are waiting to fly in. I am very concerned about the manner in which the botfly egg gets on the rabbit. Does a fly land on the rabbit and penetrate the skin to lay the egg or does rabbit pick up an egg in the grass. Cana house rabbit get a bot fly larvae? I am also concerned about flystrike but more with bot flies.

The fly lays the eggs on the butt. Either in the hair or any poop stuck to their bottom. On occasion they will lay it in the poop pile and if it's not cleaned out enough, when eggs hatch, a larva would burrow into the bunny.

The eggs are not in the skin, but when they hatch they essentailly eat the rabbit alive. And yes, an inside rabbit can get fly strike, so just try to keep them to a minimum indoors. None of my outdoor rabbits have had flystrike *knock on wood* but I clean trays out a lot, clean the cage daily, and on days that I don't get around to cleaning it out, I spray a vanilla/water mixture in the cage corners where they go most often and in the pans. The sweet smell helps deter them from laying eggs in the poop.

Hi Maherwoman! We had a real problem with flies in the house around a month ago.:( They were green bottles and they were everywhere. (we assume something mouse like died in the attic crawlspace but we never found it.) The one day alone we had 50, the next we lost count around 30...ugh gross! And considering the day before I had been reading about fly strike and was a bit paranoid about the darn things! :?

We boughtsome of the sticky fly paper rolls that you hang from the ceiling. We put one by every window and 2 in the bunn room. We got really busy with the fly swatters...but the fly paper helped catch a few! Of course having 5 cats doesn't hurt either!! :D I haven't found a better way to get rid of the stupid things! (our fly emerg is over but everytime you open the door there is a line up waitng to get in!):D

From what I've read, the vanilla makes their poop and pee quite unpleasant and unwanted to flies. I can't seem to find the article that states this, though...sorry! If anyone can, please post it. :)

angieluv wrote:
Maherwoman..I missed somewhere what the vanilla is for?

Ack! I had a situation once quite a lot like that. Our experience spanned over about a week's time, when my daughter was still a baby (she's six now). It was aweful!

I know...they must have a waiting line by the front door...lol...maybe I should spray Off around the door? Lol...never know...might work!

Runestonez wrote:
Hi Maherwoman! We had a real problem with flies in the house around a month ago.:( They were green bottles and they were everywhere. (we assume something mouse like died in the attic crawlspace but we never found it.) The one day alone we had 50, the next we lost count around 30...ugh gross! And considering the day before I had been reading about fly strike and was a bit paranoid about the darn things! :?

We boughtsome of the sticky fly paper rolls that you hang from the ceiling. We put one by every window and 2 in the bunn room. We got really busy with the fly swatters...but the fly paper helped catch a few! Of course having 5 cats doesn't hurt either!! :D I haven't found a better way to get rid of the stupid things! (our fly emerg is over but everytime you open the door there is a line up waitng to get in!):D

There's a disgusting chicken farm about 15 mins up the road... They have horrible practice, so there's lots of little flies everywhere. I had Oreo for 10 years with no flystrike, but the bigger room I moved in to to give enough room for bunnies has crooked screens on the windows. I've seen a couple bugs, plus a couple moths and a caterpillar on one of my window plants!

I'm going to put vanilla in their water, and see about getting the bright yellow stickies to stick in my plants.

Eww...I've driven past stinky chicken farms before...

yeah, I about gagged when I realized there were THREE landfills closeby...though it did explain a few things. :X:?

We've been takin' out flies all day and night long! (We being we humans and both of our talented feline fly-catchers!) :(

Nadezhda wrote:
There's a disgusting chicken farm about 15 mins up the road... They have horrible practice, so there's lots of little flies everywhere. I had Oreo for 10 years with no flystrike, but the bigger room I moved in to to give enough room for bunnies has crooked screens on the windows. I've seen a couple bugs, plus a couple moths and a caterpillar on one of my window plants!

I'm going to put vanilla in their water, and see about getting the bright yellow stickies to stick in my plants.

maherwoman wrote:
I know...they must have a waiting line by the front door...lol...maybe I should spray Off around the door? Lol...never know...might work
This is what i do every summer,even before i had bunnies,i would spray all around my back door,and it really does work,but i would spray the outside a few times a day though,i just hate flies and i hate them flying around in my home.

But now that my kids are older and they are not running in and out and just standing there with the door open to let all the flies in i dont have to spray as much,but i still do spray the outside:)

cheryl

I HATE FLIES!!!!!

The best, and probably only, deterrent of flystryke is to keep the bunnies and their environment as clean as possible.

The white vinegar used during cleaning will help. I use it on the litter pans, drop pans, cages, etc.

Check bunnies often for cleanliness, especially their tushies. Poopy butt is dangerous when flies are around.

Check bunnies for any wounds or sores and treat them promptly.

Vanilla extract added to the bunnies drinking water is supposed to cut down on the smell of urine. It may also prompt them to drink more and thus dilute the urine odor.

You can try those sticky fly strips.

There are some plants that are suppose to be good for repelling flies. I'll see if I can find a listing.

I refrain from using any insect sprays.

~Jim

I worry about flies, too, Maherwoman.

Imitation vanilla is just as effective as the real thing.

I have to yell at my family about leaving trash bags near the door, going in and out and holding the doors open. If I see a fly, I don't rest until it's DEAD!

Latest posts

Back