Flies in Bunny Room

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalena2148

Reaction score
Hi all.

Well, a while back, I had a problem w/ a fruit fly infestation in the bunny room. Now, since I've been going in and out of the house more frequently being summer, there were 4 small looking black flies (not fruit, more like house). I immediately checked bunny butts and cages. There were no other flies to be found and I had just cleaned with litter boxes early Friday morning. I'll be cleaning their boxes again today just in case.

I couldn't find the source of the flies in the room. So, I concluded the flies migrated to the bunny room because (1) there door was closed and it can get a little stinky (2) there have been more flies outside because of summer and they are finding their way in.

Today, I plan on disinfecting the room really well because I don't want the bunnies to get sick as well as giving the bunnies a good once over with a good comb to check for anything bad.

But, what I really want to know is, what can I use on a reg. basis to keep flies from coming into the room? Is there an air freshener smell they hate? Are there fly traps I could buy?

Thanks!

used to get fly traps at the feed store--the problem with them is that they really stink--guess that's what makes them attractive to flies. They also have the sticky strips you can hang from the ceiling. I personally prefer the fly swatter.

I've never used fly traps, but I have used the sticky fly paper.
It was really weird actually... I used to live in Orange County, and the fly paper worked well. Then I moved to Oceanside, and the fly paper did not help at all... I mean not even one fly flew to it.

Nancy said the fly traps stink, which sounds unpleasant. Maybe try the sticky paper first and if that doesn't work try the traps?

Good luck.

My husband placed strips of sticky fly paper in all the windows upstairs (where the bunnies are) becauseI don't have curtains and the flies ( I don't get many) always migrate to the light in the windows to try to get out. it worked really good last summer.
You need to be worried about the flies with the shiny green backs

I am supposed to love all wildlife butI despise these flies so much that I will knock over anything to get one with a fly swatter or anything i can grab and I am a truly a patient and relentless hunter of greenback flies. :)
I never tried a trap that you set up butI may someday

Thank you all.

I wonder, if flies don't like vanilla extract, would they also hate a vanilla scented plugin air freshener as well? There's gotta be a scent that repels them.

I will try the fly sticky paper by the window as well.

And, as far as I can tell, these were black flies with no green backs. I got them all though.

maherwoman wrote:
Nice!  I'm gonna go check that out.  :)

Edited to add:  Now all you need to do is make a good marinara sauce, and they'll leave!  LOL!!

:D Awesome!

Also, check this out too:
http://www.ehow.com/video_4973462_repel-flies-herbs.html

Good info. I'm going to try getting an oil air freshener w/ lavender oil for the bunny room. We'll see how that works.

I have also heard that putting vanilla in the bunnies' water repels flies from the bunnies, which is of course exactly what you want. It also makes them drink more.

Latest posts

Back