Flemish Giant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nic411

Reaction score
My wife and I were leaving Walmart the day before easter and saw some people selling rabbits on the side of the road. Of course we had to stop and ended up picking one up. They called it an Australian giant, but I can't find much on the internet about that breed. After looking around I'm guessing she's a Flemish giant. What do you think?

20130330_130030.jpg

When I woke up yesterday all the paper was torn up and there was hair all over the place. After researching I found out that she could be nesting. So I picked her up and sure enough I felt some kicks. About 4-5 hours later she gave birth to 8 kits. What an experience this has been....haha.

We were told she was 4-6 months old and for reference the cat in the pic is about 20 lbs.

Last edited:
Picture is hard to tell but appears to be a rex or mini rex. Is the fur like velvet? Fur looks very short and dense so I'm saying a rex. As for a Flemish Giant it is not.

Doesn't look at all like a Flemish to me but resembles a rex from the ones I have seen. If they were selling them on the side of the road and at Easter time then I would say they are not reputable breeders. I have never heard of Australian giants either although I am no expert I find it hard to believe in all of my searching out large breeds of rabbits before getting a Flemish giant that one never came up. Cute bun never the less and enjoy the babies. Although I would not breed buns if I wound up with a pregnant doe as you have then I would enjoy it to the fullest.

Her fur is very dense and sort of feels like a mink blanket...very soft. I've never even heard of a Rex so I'm looking it up right now. I'm very new too the bunny scene so I'm researching a lot. I do had pics of the babies buy I'm at work and posting from my phone. Ill see if I can get some pics up.

Doesn't look at all like a Flemish to me but resembles a rex from the ones I have seen. If they were selling them on the side of the road and at Easter time then I would say they are not reputable breeders. I have never heard of Australian giants either although I am no expert I find it hard to believe in all of my searching out large breeds of rabbits before getting a Flemish giant that one never came up. Cute bun never the less and enjoy the babies. Although I would not breed buns if I wound up with a pregnant doe as you have then I would enjoy it to the fullest.

We're definitely not planning on breeding. This caught us completely off guard and now we're just figuring out how to handle the situation we are in. I don't think the people were legit breeders. They said they live on a farm, have a bunch of rabbits and sell them when they have too many.

Just let us know whatever questions and concerns you may have. Lots of resources here and good info. You never know what you'll get with an "impulse" buy. I eneded up with my little bad ninja attack rabbit that way. But wouldn't trade her for anything.

Welcome to the rabbit world. And looks like a rex to me ;)

I'm no expert but I do own two Flemish, and that is not a full breed Flemish. Could be mixed Flemmie, but I doubt that to. Wow, good luck with your surprise and if you have an issue you might want to call a shelter for advice or assistance if you need more hand's on help.

Haha, you can tell she's a first time mom. That's a really random looking nest :) But also not bad for a first time mom. Often first time litters don't survive. You may want to help her out a little. Clean out any wet and soiled material. Make sure there aren't any deceased babies. Gather up the fur, then hollow out a little bowl like depression towards the back or one of the sides of the box. You are trying to keep the babies grouped together to stay warm, and also giving mom a clear area to hop on into the box when it's time to nurse, so she's not hopping onto the babies. Add more grass hay/shredded paper if you need to to do this. Then line the depression with the fur that you collected and place the babies back in there. You'll want to make sure the babies are somewhere safe while you are doing this. They are SUPER squirmy at this age, and can even easily just pop right out of your hand if you don't have a good hold on them. It's also a good idea to check their belly to make sure mom is feeding them. They should have nice plump bellies. When they get a little older and start eating solid food, you want to check their bums each day, to make sure they don't have soft poop sticking to their bums... And enjoy! :) Baby bunnies are lots of fun to raise.

I agree with the others on the breed. Looks like a rex.

Latest posts

Back